cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS Users beware the dreaded CPS

Eric_Putman
Level 4
Well we are giving up on CPS for doing continuous replication on our many of servers we have (20+). We had a test server that I used to test CPS we had to uninstall the CPS agent for our test server to update it to the new version after SP1 for CPS came out our version (11.1.407.4003) and it killed the test server telling me please load the NTDLR file!! And you know what's even worse, by just by uninstalling it on our Domain controller guess what that happen ya you guessed it brought down our domain controller:smileymad same error: That was a late night that I didn't need to do, thank you SymantecSmiley Mad.

I just want everyone to know that CPS does work to a point if you have servers under 5+ then CPS is for you but if you are like us it won't work in your environment. All I want to do is warn people if you are looking for an enterprise replication software get double take or any other software that can do this for you if you have questions saying I am wrong just look at the posts here they can't answer most of the post here. They need to have this product tested before they pushed it out to us I feel like a beta tester for a big environment and the backup speeds suck if you use the CPS portected resource through Backup Exec they will tell you that backing up many small files compaired to big database file are slower so if you want to speed up your backup ues B2D (thats if you have a nas box or storage unit that can support your backup needs like us) then your backup window will shrink our B2D speeds our around 41-5200 MB/min our LTO3 tape drive are now the bottleneck.

Those that have the same problem I feel for you and I know what your going through just don't put your eggs in this basket the basket will break like in my case.Smiley Indifferent  
1 REPLY 1

Jorgen_Persson
Level 4

Hello

I have seen the same problem with Servers being unable to boot after uninstalling CPS, luckily for me it was plain non production servers so it was not a huge deal re installing it. The problem I have now is that I want to uninstall the CPS agent on my Exchange Server and a File servers and I am expecting them to be destroyed to. I tried restoring the missing files but no luck on getting the server back online. I should mention that I also have had servers where the CPS agent uninstalled without any issues but how can I know without rebooting and praying?

This was the straw that brook the Camel’s back for me. I did not renew my 50 server BE licenses when it expired two month ago and I am moving on to a different solution.