cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS agent server "unavailable" after moved to different IP/subnet

gregom
Level 2

I have a CPS server I replicate data to, we moved it from the local LAN to another site. It now communicates over the WAN link and I have full communication with it from my site, but CPS reports the server as "unavailable" and won't start the backup job for this server.

I did some research and found some people were able to change the "preferred address" in the registry for this server, but it appears this article no longer exists (was on veritas.com KB) and I can't find "preferredaddress" key in the registry.

I tried to push CPS to the server again via its new IP address, this worked but it still shows as unavailable. I've restarted services and the actual server at both sites, no effect.

I don't want to delete it and delete the job its associated with for fear it can't re-sync with the indexing information and i'll have to replicate 400GB of data over a 3Mbit WAN link, which I DONT want to do. Anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

2 REPLIES 2

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Hi,

Please refer to the link below for the same that may help you fix this :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57199

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH42625

Let me know if it helped you....

gregom
Level 2

Hi and thanks for replying. Unfortuntely these fixes did not apply to my situation. In fact the preferred address was already set on my CPS, however unnecessary as I only have one NIC.

I also tried re-pushing the install from CPS but that didn't help either. I ended up having to completely uninstall the agent (leaving the indexing and journaling information on the drives though) and pushing the install from CPS. I had to delete the backup job and its destination setup from CPS before doing this. I have set it all back up and it runs fine, I just hope it is still is using the replicated data that exists on the agent and not starting over. I'll know tomorrow once the job runs tonight. 

If a Symantec software engineer is reading this and you have anything to do with CPS, please allow a way for admins to manipulate network location info for a server in CPS. All I did was move it to another IP and subnet, but all on the same WAN. Most people would assume CPS will just talk to DNS and get the servers new IP address, but it seems as if it is statically set somewhere inside CPS and we can't change it.