cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS vs. BackupExec daily

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Im curious how others are using CPS along with BackupExec. Do you use CPS only for continously changing data you want quick recovery like file servers? Do you subsitute daily differential/incremental backups with CPS?
4 REPLIES 4

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Corey:

As you said, you use CPS for continuously changing data that you want your users to be able to restore by themselves.  If you want to then this data in tape for offsite storage or other uses, then you will use Backup Exec.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
CPS is great for file versioning if your company save multiple version of documents, such as programming code, design docs, etc, where there are multiple versions saved each day.

CPS also works great with Excchange backups and allows for point in time restores in case of virus outbreak or similar issue.  CPS Exchange jobs have to be seperate from regular exchange jobs, so be sure to consider all aspects before going to CPS Exchange.

RVR
Not applicable
I bought SYMC Backup Exec 11D WIN with CPS and I don't have an Exchange server. Can I still use the product for regular windows backups? When setting up backup jobs I get the error: "There must be at least 2 available servers to create a backup job"
Please advice.

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
RVR,

Yes, CPS main function is file versioning basically.  The note about two machines needed is that you have to set up your main CPS server (CMS server) which has the UI Console.  Consider this you BE Media server for comparison.  Then from the CPS console, you will see an option for Servers.  Right click on that, and select a server to push the remote agent (CPA (continuous protection agent) in the case of CPS) to. 

Keep in mind, your main CPS server must be Windows 2003 due the requirement of the destination folder (where all information is protected to)  A CPS server cannot protect itself, due to the obvious viscious circle that would result as new data is written.  To protect the CPS server, Backup Exec is used to protect the server itself (if seperate from BE) as well as all the data that CPS has protected from other servers.