cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not view directories with Linux agent using ReiserFS

Ian_Meyer
Level 3
We have a couple of servers with ReiserFS for a partition and BackupExec can not view directories on these partitions.. it can view files, just no directories.

We are using RedHat ES 3 and Fedora Core 3. Realizing FC3 is not supported, why does ES 3 not work with ReiserFS?

Thanks in advance,
Ian
10 REPLIES 10

Ian_Meyer
Level 3
We have tried all the config options we can think of, to no avail. Is
this just a problem in the agent or the backup exec software? Has
anyone encountered this problem more recently?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Regarding your issue about Backup Exec not being able to backup reiserfs partitions.
As we understand, you are using RedHat ES 3
We would request you to check the software compatibility list by referring the following technote.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/261695

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ian_Meyer
Level 3
IntelEnterprise Linux 3.0 - ES is listed, which is what we are using.
RedHat ES 3 and Enterprise Linux 3.0 ES are the same thing.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please check if you have installed latest Linux and UNIX Servers 5.046

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ian_Meyer
Level 3
# Backup Exec -- Unix Agent, Version 5.01 Revision 5.046
Copyright 2001 VERITAS Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

---

An interesting sidenote: Realizing that Debian Sarge is unsupported, I went ahead and installed it, with / as reiserfs and /home as ext3. I was able to see all directories and files in both systems. However, we are still at a standstill with our RedHat systems.

Ian_Meyer
Level 3
Here is some possibly useful information:

I am going to list the libraries the BE agent uses.. all of the agents are version: Unix Agent, Version 5.01 Revision 5.046

The command I'm using is: ldd /etc/bkupexec/agent.be | awk '{print $1}' | xargs file; which basically lists the library dependencies for a file, pipes it into awk to extract the file name and then pipes it into the file command to resolve the symbolic link.

On our RedHat ES 3 system we have:
/etc/libcwait.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped
libc.so.6: symbolic link to libc-2.3.2.so
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: symbolic link to ld-2.3.2.so

Okay, that's cool, now on to Fedora Core 3:
libc.so.6: symbolic link to `libc-2.3.5.so'
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: symbolic link to `ld-2.3.5.so'

Hm, 3 patch levels different.. and one less library. Interesting..
now the only system that works is Debian, and here is the result of that command
libc.so.6: symbolic link to `libc-2.3.2.so'
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: symbolic link to `ld-2.3.2.so'

Same version as the ES 3 system, sans the libcwait.so.

I fully understand that two of these examples are from systems that aren't supported, however, I thought the informaton could be useful.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

If the Unix OS supports the file system then Backup Exec will backup the information. However ReiserFs is a relatively new File system, so not specifically tested.

However you can still try backing up the directories, even if they dont show up in selection list. Select the folllwoing option in backup job properties\Linux and verify the result :

Follow local mount points
Follow remote mount points

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Steve_Pugh
Not applicable
Hello Ian and all, I've just installed a new server running FC4 (XFS file system on my data partitions) and of course did not consider that I may encounter a problem with bkagent. Ooops.

Did you ever find a solution to your issue? I have the same problem (unable to see directories when attempting to back up this server, can only see the files in the root of the shared folder) and am hoping for a solution.

Thanks and regards,
Steve

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Though we encourage your participation in the Forum, after analyzing your query and scenario we conclude that the issue faced by you is different from the one being discussed in this thread. It needs a different line of troubleshooting and hence, we request you to resubmit your query as a new post. In case it is the same, with the same version of Fedora,Redhat etc.. mentioned, please specify.

Also elaborate on the backup exec version and the agent version you use. Check if it is specifically listed as tested in the software compatibility list:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/261695

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Ronny_T__Lamper
Not applicable
Hi,

solution is simple. The agent thinks a reiserfs-volume is an network mounted filesystem and as such is ignoring it (starting with Linux 2.6 it seems; 2.4.23 at least was fine). Big bad bug in the agent.

Workaround:
Add the following to your agent.cfg for the export entry:

export / as root include_remote no_nfs_locking

You'll still have to select the following when setting up a backup job:

Follow local mount points
Follow remote mount points

I was suggesting to veritas to open source the Linux/Unix agent, because the legacy and also the VRTS/exec10 agent contain significant bugs, but to no avail. A community improved version of the agent could iron out those bugs quick and fast.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Ronny