cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Load Exchange Agent

Rob_3
Level 3
I just built a new Win2003 SP1 server. Installed BE 9 and Exchange Agent, then 9.1 SP, then SP2 from Veritas Update. When I try to create jobs, I cannot view the Exchange 2003 Server which already had BE and Agent installed on it for previous BE server (now decommissioned).

I saw a thread indicating that I need to reinstall the agent, but I'm not sure how to do it (original 9.0 CD says can't install old version). Should I uninstall Agent from core server or Exchange server? What do I need to do to get the primary Win2003 SP1 server aware of the Exchange server so I can backup the Information Store?

Thanks,
Rob
25 REPLIES 25

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Have you installed Exchange's SP1?

Rob_3
Level 3
The Exchange 2003 server already has Exchange SP1 installed. It has not changed.

I uninstalled BE completely from the Exchange server and am now reinstalling BE on it from scratch. After all the lovely reboots, I'm not facing an error:

""There is no BkupExec instance name specified for SQL Server. Install will not be able to install the databases needed to run Backup Exec."

when I try to install BE 9.1 SP2.

Question: If I have BE running on a File/Print server and want to backup an Exchange server, I install just BE on the F/P server and just the agent on the Exchange server, right?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

As you are backing up a remote Exchange server, you will need to install the Remote Agent on the Exchange server.
Refer the following technote.
Title:
How to install the Backup Exec 9.x Remote Agent for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253058

- You need to add the Exchange Agent license on the Media server. Backup exec 9.0 license will work with 9.1.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Rob_3
Level 3
Thanks. I'm not sure whether the problem is Win2003 SP1 or BE SP2. I'm starting from scratch and slowly add on updates. I will let you know how it goes...

Rob_3
Level 3
Now I'm in just a world of pain. I completely uninstalled BE completely from both servers and started over. Both servers are Win2003 (without Win2003 SP1)

-I reinstalled 9.0 from the original CD (suite on the primary server, suite & exchange agent on the exchange 2003 server).
-Rebooted and couldn't add the Exchange server to my selection list.
-installed BE SP1 to both servers and rebooted
-now the BE services won't start up on either server. Keeps giving me a "Dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion." error # 1075
-I also see in the Event Log the following error: "The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service depends on the following nonexistent service: MSSQL$BKUPEXEC"

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp

Suggestions?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please answer the questions below before troubleshooting this problem further:-

As you have installed Be v9.0, have you installed exchange agent license on the backup exec media server and the remote agent on the remote exchnage 2003 server?

-- As you can not see the Exchange server in the selection list, verify if the exchange services are running.

-- As you metioned here that you have reinstalled BE v9.0 and installed BE SP1 on both the server, please elaborate this......

-- Have you installed SP1 on the Exchange server 2003?
-- SP1 is available incase of Backup Exec v 9.1 and it has to be installed only on the backup exec media server only.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
deepali

Rob_3
Level 3
I'm confused by your grammar, but I'll answer your questions below in bold.

As you have installed Be v9.0, have you installed exchange agent license on the backup exec media server and the remote agent on the remote exchnage 2003 server?
I HAVE ONLY INSTALLED BE ON THE MAIN SERVER. I HAVE ONLY INSTALLED THE AGENT ON THE EXCHANGE SERVER. SO I NEED BOTH APPLICATIONS ON THE MEDIA SERVER AND JUST THE EXCHANGE AGENT ON THE EXCHANGE SERVER?

-- As you can not see the Exchange server in the selection list, verify if the exchange services are running.
YES, ALL EXCHANGE SERVICES ARE RUNNING.

-- As you metioned here that you have reinstalled BE v9.0 and installed BE SP1 on both the server, please elaborate this......
WILL WAIT DEPENDING ON ANSWER TO INSTALLATION QUESTION ABOVE. ONCE I GET IT WORKING, I WILL INSTALL EVERYTHING LISTED ON THE VERITAS UPDATE PAGE FOR EACH SERVER.

-- SP1 is available incase of Backup Exec v 9.1 and it has to be installed only on the backup exec media server only.
WILL WAIT DEPENDING ON ANSWER TO INSTALLATION QUESTION ABOVE. ONCE I GET IT WORKING, I WILL INSTALL EVERYTHING LISTED ON THE VERITAS UPDATE PAGE FOR EACH SERVER.

Rob_3
Level 3
I HAVE ONLY INSTALLED BE ON THE MAIN SERVER. I HAVE ONLY INSTALLED THE AGENT ON THE EXCHANGE SERVER. SO I NEED BOTH APPLICATIONS ON THE MEDIA SERVER AND JUST THE EXCHANGE AGENT ON THE EXCHANGE SERVER?
-nevermind on this question. BE would not let me proceed with the installation on the Exchange server with just the agent. I was forced to install BE on it as well.

YES, ALL EXCHANGE SERVICES ARE RUNNING.

-I have successfully installed BE 9.0 and the Exchange Agent on the Exchange server. Veritas Update on the Exchange Server is showing me Be4454RSP1_266525 (9.0 SP1) and 9.1 Upgrade available. Which, if either, should I install on the Exchange Server?

-waiting for answer to this question

Rob_3
Level 3
BUMP

I still need help here...

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Ok, I will make comments on your three bolded items, in order:

1) Were you trying to install the Exchange agent on the exchange server? If so, you were just confused(as a lot of people are) in this situation. The Exchange "agent" is really a license which allows code to be used to backup exchange data correctly. There is no agent to push, you need to push the "Remote Agent" to any servers you need to protect. The Exchange Agent license just allows the Remote Agent to function with Exchange data. Either way, if you installed the BE media server on the Exchange server it installs Remote Agent by default... you should be fine here.

2) Download the 9.1 Upgrade as it will include the SP1 for 9.0 by default as part of the upgrade process.

3) See above

One question, I may have just missed it but you say you cannot backup Exchange items, or see them. Just to clarify, are you trying to select the items and being denied access, or are they simply not showing up? Is this the same when viewing remotely as well as locally on the media server? And of course the basic question, you do have full rights to exchange correct? All the way up and down the exchange organization as well as rights to a mailbox?

Rob_3
Level 3
One question, I may have just missed it but you say you cannot backup Exchange items, or see them. Just to clarify, are you trying to select the items and being denied access, or are they simply not showing up? Is this the same when viewing remotely as well as locally on the media server? And of course the basic question, you do have full rights to exchange correct? All the way up and down the exchange organization as well as rights to a mailbox?

The Exchange Mailbox Information Store is not showing up on the selection list box. Yes, I have full rights as I'm logging into BE as a domain administrator.

This is a production Exchange server, so I can't do it right now, but tonight I'm going to install http://support.veritas.com/docs/267151.

I will post an update on my progress tonight...

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Umm, is it the Exchange Information Store or the Mailbox Store not showing up? You seem to have combined all the terminology. :)

Check this registry key, on clusters it causes the IS to disappear so it may also apply to you:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS\Restrict Anonymous Support

Change the reg_dword value of 0 to 1. (change on all nodes if you are in a cluster)

Restart the remote agent, see if it shows up after the services restarts.

Rob_3
Level 3
Made the registry change on both servers. Both servers are now at BE 9.1 Rev 4691.

When I bring up the selection lists, the Exchange Server is not in the list. No Information Store, no Mailbox Store, no nuttin. It might be because the BE services won't start ("dependency service failed to start") on the Exchange Server.

I am getting a license violation saying that same serial number is installed on both servers, too. What should I uninstall?

I got lots of related errors, it looks like.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

As you have mentioned, installing Backup Exec on both servers will give this error. Please uninstall Backup Exec from the Exchange server and install Remote Agent there. This should resolve the license violation issue.

Please update ater performing these steps to continue troubleshooting.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Rob_3
Level 3
BE won't let me do that. If I go to Add/Remove Programs and hit the CHANGE button, when I get to the features listed (BE and the Agent) and remove just the Agent, it removes both items.

When I installed originally, it wouldn't let me install the Agent without also installing BE.

How can I get JUST the Agent installed on the Exchange server?

Rob_3
Level 3
PS. I don't think "intimation" is the proper word to use in that context. (See http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=intimation%20 or http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=intimation) Simply using "reply" would not only be shorter, but a more accurate indication of what you're waiting for from me.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Yeah, without the service starting you won't see anything.

First, I didn't realize you only had one set of licenses, so yes you will have to uninstall BE from the Exchange server. Once this is done, reboot the Exchange server so you will be able to push the remote agent to it (can't do so until the uninstall is completed with a reboot)

From Tools menu on the other media server, select the Serial Numbers and Installation option and then choose remote install (deselect local as well) On the remote install add the exchange server as the machine, provide credentials, and select the Remote Agent as the option to install. (installing remote option will probably require yet another reboot... you might get lucky and not require it though.

When you create a backup job for this machine, you will need to use a logon account which has specific rights. You need Full Exchange rights, as well as Full rights to a mailbox which is visible on the address list.

Rob_3
Level 3
I was able to uninstall, delete the leftover Veritas key from the registry and delete the leftover c:\program files\veritas folder from the Exchange server without rebooting.

But when I try to do the remote install from the media server, the exchange server is not displayed (only my workstation is displayed). Is there a way to manually enter the Exchange server name/IP address? How can I deploy this to a serve that isn't seen? (All Exchange services are running on this server. Both servers are Win2003 Domain Controllers which can ping each other by name and IP address.)

PS. I made the domain administrator account unhidden from the exchange address book, so I'll end up using that mailbox when the time comes...

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Ok, to manually add a machine do this:

1) Open the Tools\Serial Numbers and Installation link.
2) Deselect local install and check the option for Remote Install
3) On the BE Remote Features screen, right click on Windows Agent/Options and select "Add Remote Computer Manually"
4) Enter Domain and Computer name
5) Enter Credentials for the target machine (domain admin creds or whatever)
6) Change the option for Remote Agent for Windows Servers from Red X to the grey icon so it is the selection for install.
7) Hit Next and then Install and you should be good to go.