cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Restore Exchange items to PST without active Exchange server?

HGIT
Level 2

I recently re-licensed BE in our environment expressly so that I would be entitled to tech support from Veritas. Specifically, we've been having trouble restoring indivudual emails from tapes containing Exchange backups. The BE server has been upgraded to BE16 (was on 14). We no longer have an Exchange server, as we migrated two years ago to Exchange Online. But we still need to be able to restore tapes from 2015 and before, when we had Exchange on-prem. Veritas support is telling me that they can't help and that we can't restore that data without an active license for the BE Agent for Exchange...fine, I'll buy one, but I just read an article stating that the agent won't work unless it can connect to our Exchange server. Can anyone confirm for me that in order to restore Exchange backups from tape to PST files on the BE server itself, that we actually have to maintain an unused Exchange server?! This seems nuts to me. Are Veritas tech support and I simply miscommunicating? Thanks inadvance.

5 REPLIES 5

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi mate,

That is not quite true as far as I know. You need to install the MS Outlook 2010 on the BE server though to be able to restore to PST.

--Virgil

Thank you! I did that, after support told me to. That's when they told me they were done because it's an Exchange issue. I'm actually not making that far - my "staging" area is D:\temp (I've tried others) which is both local and NTFS, but the restore fails immediately with an error stating that D:\TEMP (or any other local location I pick) is neither local nor NTFS. As I said, it's both. I do not get the same error when restoring regular Windows server files, only granular Exchange restores. I've referenced the Veritas support articles on the topic and now that I'm using 32-bit Outlook 2010, I believe I'm doing everything by the book.

VirgilDobos

Make sure the staging area is big enough to accommodate the full size of the Exchange backup image. When you do a GRT restore from tape, the full backup image has to be temporarily stagged to disk (your staging area) and then finally restored.

If the problem persists, please share the exact error you are getting.

--Virgil

Thanks again. The D:\temp directory is on a volume with 3TB free of 4TB total. The Exchange backup I've been using is 56GB on tape. The error is:

Job Log: BEX_HGTAPEBACKUP_00264.xml

Job ended: Monday, February 26, 2018 at 4:57:27 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0001204 - The path on the Backup Exec server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items must be on a local NTFS volume on the Backup Exec server. Check the job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-4612

Job Log: BEX_HGTAPEBACKUP_00264.xml

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Restore- hgtapebackup.hg.local
V-79-57344-4612 - The path (D:\TEMP) on the Backup Exec server for staging temporary data when resto...

VirgilDobos

Have a look at the solution described in this TN (the part regarding virtfile.sys, points 2 and 3): https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100018266.html

--Virgil