cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see individual items under Exchange Mailbox in Selections

Dan_Price
Level 4
Running Backup Exec 9.1 Rev. 4691 on Win2003 Server, backing up Exchange 2000 on Win2000 Server with the BE Remote Agent installed...

In Selections for the backup job, I checked "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes", "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders", "Microsoft Information Store" and "System State".

Before I say what the problem is, let me point out that the backup completed. It just had some errors about mailboxes it couldn't find (disabled accounts) and two corrupt items that would not verify.

The problem is that when I go into the Selections for the backup job, while I can deselect the disabled users' mailboxes just fine, I cannot expand any of the mailboxes to find the corrupt items.

This is also true with the Public Folders tree. I can see all the top-level folders, but nothing underneath them.

However, this is not a problem if I go to Selections for a restore job. In there, I can drill down to every brick-level item.

Any ideas why I cannot drill down in the backup selection?
12 REPLIES 12

Satish_Krishnam
Level 4
When backing up single mailboxes, Backup Exec reports some of the messages with attachments as corrupt. The file attachments can be checked out not to be corrupt, i.e. they can be opened, viewed and executed.

Following guidelines will be useful to resolve this issue:

1) Anti-virus software accessing the Information Store at the same time as the backup, i.e. using the same Messaging API as Backup Exec does- It is recommended to stop Anti-virus software services when backing up. We suggest you to delete the mailbox with the subject line "Happy Birthday"

2) Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (A message attached to a message etc.)- Remove this message.

3) Automated system messages (undeliverable, over size limit etc.)- Remove this message.

4) The message / attachment is really corrupt (can't open, view or execute) – Remove this message.

5) Virus infected Information store - Remove virus.

6) Very long subject lines - Remove this message.

7) Very long attachment names -Remove this message.

8) Very large attachments (might give out of resource like errors) - Remove this message.

9) Check the name of the mailbox (which gives error "is a corrupt file") in job log and download all the mails of that mailbox to personal folder file (.pst)

To remove the corrupt mailboxes you could also go to the View format and select Text view in the Backup job properties and then delete the unwanted mailboxes.

To resolve this error please refer to the following technote::

A backup operation fails with the error message: "Directory not found. Can not back up directory <\directory> and its subdirectories" or "The directory is invalid."

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/207001.htm

IF THIS ISSUE IS RELATED TO THE EXCHANGE MAILBOX: Please refer below:

When the issue is seen specific to mailbox backups, refer to the following details:

This issue occurs due to the fact that when deleting users inside Active Directory, the associated mailboxes in Exchange are kept for a period of time. This time is called a Retention Period. By default the retention period is 30 days. This is so that in the case that this user's mail has to be retrieved, it will be available for a period of time.

Backup Exec will see the mailboxes that have had the associated user accounts deleted from Active Directory, but will be unable to access them.

There are four possible options to resolve this error:

1. The first option is to change the retention period that mailboxes are kept.

2. The second option is to remove the mailbox from Exchange all together.

3. The Third option is to associate the mailbox with another user inside Active Directory. This option is only available, if the new user does not have an associated mailbox inside Exchange.

4. The Fourth option is to deselect the mailbox for backup inside the Backup Exec backup job operation Selection List.

For details on how to implement the above solutions, please refer to the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241981.htm

Dan_Price
Level 4
Thanks Satish, but that document doesn't address my question. I would like to know why I cannot drill down past the mailbox level in backup selections. In BE 8.6, this was possible, but now in 9.1 it is not?

cool_raj
Level 3
This may be a unique mailbox problem. Check whether the account you are using is unique. You may perform the following steps to check the same :

a) Open Outlook and open a new mail message.
b) Type in the first 4-5 letters of the account that you are using to backup mailboxes and press Ctrl-K
c) Check if it gives only that mailbox in the suggestions and nothing else.
d) If there are more than one suggestions, then the account is not unique.

If the account is not unique, you may need to delete the other mailbox (if not being used) or setup a new account. To setup a new account, perform the following steps :

1. Create a new Mail Enabled account (eg; account name : BESA) in Active Directory.The mailbox name should be unique (For Eg the first five characters of the mailbox name should be unique than any other mailbox enabled user).

2. Add BESA in Domain Admin in Active Directory and also make this user account member of local administrator's group on the media server.

3. Give BESA "Exchange Full Administrator" rights on the organization level (using delegate control wizard).

- Start System Manager -> Right click the Organization to start "Delegate control" wizard.
- Grant the logon account user "Exchange Full Administrator" role.

4. Make sure the account is not hidden from the Global Address List by right clicking on the particular user in Active directory users and computers, selecting properties and checking under Exchange Advance tab that the "Hide this mailbox from Global address list" is unchecked.

Refer to
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243328.htm

Also check if the send and receive as rights are set to Allow for this user. Please follow the steps given in the Technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236713.htm

5. Activate mailbox for this user account (BESA) by sending and recieving mails.

Also, check whether the account is unique :

a) Open Outlook and open a new mail message.
b) Type in the first 4-5 letters of the account and press Ctrl-K
c) Check if it gives only that mailbox in the suggestions and nothing else.
d) If there are more than one suggestions, then the account is not unique.

6. Create a new Logon account in Backup Exec on Media Server :

a. Network | Logon Accounts
b. Click New
c. Provide Username and Password for account BESA.
d. Uncheck the "This is a restricted logon account".

7. Click on backup/restore tab

8. Select the Mailbox to be Restore/Backup from the selection.

9. Click "Resource Credentials"

10. Highlight the Logon Account on the top.

11.Click on "Change"

12.Select this new account (BESA) from the list and click "OK".

13.Perform the backup/restore operation.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Hi Dan,

Just to confirm (since no one else seems to have done), on v9.0 I can drill down to the individual mail items in the backup selections, so I would figure it should definitely be possible in 9.1 as well, unless it's been removed in the .1 release for some reason.

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
If its works for BE 9.0 then it should be same for BE 9.1 as well. Could you please tell me what exactly is the error when you try to drill down to individual mailbox items?

Does it give, Access denied errors ? etc...

Waiting for your response.(Drill down--Top of information store---Inbox---mails etc.. thats what u mean , right?)

Dan_Price
Level 4
I did have a unique mailbox issue but that has been resolved. Before resolving that, I was unable to even select the top-level "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" item. It would give me an error specifically stating that the mailbox used to connect is not unique.

However, I am not seeing that error for this problem. To confirm, here is what I do:

In backup selections, find my exchange server and hit to expand it.

In the expanded list, find "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" and hit to expand it.

Select any mailbox. The list on the right says "None.", where I would expect to see a list of all the items in that mailbox.

Click the next to any mailbox. The disappears.

Go back up the tree, find "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders" and hit to expand it.

Select any folder in the list. The list on the right says "None.", where I would expect to see a list of items in that folder.

Click the next to any folder you know to contain subfolders. The disappears.

Dipti_Chinchole
Level 6
hi,

Enable the Restrict Anonymous key as given in the following technote:

Technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

We also suggest you to do a database repair using the following technote:

Technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265180.htm

Hope this helps.

Dan_Price
Level 4
I enabled the Restrict Anonymous key as the technote says, and there has been no change.

Dhavalrai_Trive
Level 5
Hi Dan ,

You should try the selections after giving the account that you are using for mailbox backups Send as and Receive as rights on the Exchange Mailbox store and for the public folders grant the owner or moderator role to the account.

If this does not work It might help if you create a new account for mailbox backups and create a mailbox for it and then try . (I would recommend creating a account with a very different name like XYZABC etc)

Hope this helps.

------------------------
For additional information kindly refer these technotes,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234575.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/256537.htmMessage was edited by:
Vidyaj Patnekar

Mani_2
Level 6
Copy MAPI32.dll file of same version from a different machine to the Media Server

Install HotFix 33 from the following link and verify the results.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269749.htm

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Kindly update us on this issue.

Beesve
Level 3
> I did have a unique mailbox issue but that has been
> resolved. Before resolving that, I was unable to
> even select the top-level "Microsoft Exchange
> Mailboxes" item. It would give me an error
> specifically stating that the mailbox used to connect
> is not unique.
>
> However, I am not seeing that error for this problem.
> To confirm, here is what I do:
>
> In backup selections, find my exchange server and hit
> to expand it.
>
> In the expanded list, find "Microsoft Exchange
> Mailboxes" and hit to expand it.
>
> Select any mailbox. The list on the right says
> "None.", where I would expect to see a list of all
> the items in that mailbox.
>
> Click the next to any mailbox. The
> disappears.
>
> Go back up the tree, find "Microsoft Exchange Public
> Folders" and hit to expand it.
>
> Select any folder in the list. The list on the right
> says "None.", where I would expect to see a list of
> items in that folder.
>
> Click the next to any folder you know to contain
> subfolders. The disappears.

I'm having the same problem restoring an indvidual mailbox. According to the job log, all messages have been backed up. However, I can't select any messages when I try to restore a mailbox.

Unfortunately I need to restore a mailbox from this tape. Since the job log indicates the messages are backed up, I assume they are indeed on the tape. Can anyone tell me how I can restore them?