cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you turn off msg "Unable to initialize Remote Agent"?

Nelson_Nakamits
Level 4
Hi,

Our company has over 100 workstations and we only have a limited number of licenses for remote agents and therefore have opted to install them on servers and other workstations with important data. I know that backup is running fine on all the workstations, but in job monitor, it shows the job in "red" as failed. Error message is...unable to initialize remote agent. Is there away to get rid of that message? All important data as far as we're concerned is being backed up. Your help is much appreciated.

Nelson
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Only ServerOS machines require a purchased serial

Workstation OS machines require the RemoteAgent for complete backups, but you can do local installs and not have to worry about serials on the media server.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Nelson,
As Ken said, Workstations are free. You do not need a license on that. You will however need to install the remote agent to be able to backup the remote workstations.

Hope this helps you. Please revert if you have any furtehr Questions.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Nelson_Nakamits
Level 4
Hey! Thanks...that was helpful but I have another question. I know Ken said that I have to do a local install on the workstation, but is there a easier way to remotely install the Remote Agent? Or need I locally install each agent on 100+ workstations?

Mahalo!
Nelson

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253058.htm

4. Type the serial number for every Remote Agent that needs to be installed, click Add and then click Next (Figure 3)

Note 1: When installing the Remote Agent on a Windows NT Workstation or Windows 2000 Professional computer, no serial number is required.

Never tried this but...

Nelson_Nakamits
Level 4
Thanks a bunch Ken.