cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel Idle Jobs

Randy_Jackson
Level 2
I have Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows running on windows 2000 server. Occasionally I have problems where a job will just run forever without backing anything up.

This happens in the following two scenarios:

A) The job will start and make a connection to the remote agent and the remote agent will crash, yet the backup job does not error out or stop to allow other jobs to run. It just sits there running, so no other job can run. If I try and cancel the job, it can take between 30-60 minutes for the job to cancel, most of the time I just reboot the server to get everything running again.

b) The job will start and make a connection to the remote agent and actually start backing up data. However at some point in the backup process Backup Exec 9.0 is not longer pulling data from the remote system. There are no errors logged on the remote system or the Backup server. The job will just sit there and continue to run without failing.

Is there any way to get a job to timeout if it has not done anything in a while? Say it has been running for 45 minutes and has not backed up any data have it cancel it self?

Is there a way to get the cancel command to respond more quickly? 30-60 minutes is ridiculous.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Have a look in your jobs properties and go to Priority and Availability, near the bottom is an option you can enable to automatically cancel the job if it hasn't completed within x many hours, which should do the trick for you.