cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled Job hangs tape

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
Have installed BE for Windows 10d onto new server running W2K3. Tape drive is Quantum SDLT 600. (This is all a brand new installation). I also have SP1, HF26, HF31, HF33, and HF34 installed.

The problem is when I cancelled an active job, the job stops ok but the tape in the drive remains in, and the media tab indicates tape is active. The eject button does nothing. The tape light flashes intermittently every 30 secs or so, but tape never ejects. Restarting BE services is only way I can get tape out.

I did not see any info in knowledge base for this type of drive, and figured someone maybe has come across this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Chris
25 REPLIES 25

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Could you tell us if the job is cancelled if you try cancelling the job, or do you have to restart the services to cancel the job?

Thanks.

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
I cancel the job, it stops in BE. It indicates it is cancelled. However, the tape never ejects. Restarting all services forces tape drive to eject tape.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- What happens when you run a eject job to eject the media?

Thank You,

Shweta

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
Nothing happens. The job appears to run, but doesn't eject tape. Eject button on drive does nothing as well.

Chris

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Do you get any device related errors in the alerts tab in BE when this happens? Check from the hardware device manual if the tape supports auto eject.Are there any device related errors in the event logs? Check if its hardware problem.

Rob_C_2
Level 3
I also have the same problem. Using Dell PowerVault 124T.

If I initialize the drive (under devices) the media is then removed from the drive and placed back in the proper slot.

When I check the status of the drive (using Dell software) it shows the drive as busy\writing. Dell said perhaps the drive was finishing writing what it had in it's cache

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
When the job gets cancelled, there is 1 error is system application event log that says "Job cancelled by user recovery". Under devices, the drive shows a green arrow on the drive. Run an eject job from devices causes eject job to go into scheduled mode with the status of "Ready; no idle devices are available"

Tape drive flashes 5 times every 15-20 secs. during all this. Pressing eject button does nothing.

Drive supports auto eject. (It's a brand new Quantum SDLT 600). Nothing under devices tab that indicates 'initalize' drive.

Ran diagnostics on drive twice, no problems at all indicated.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Could you try the same with ntbackup to isolate the issue?

Thanks!

Bobby_Torres
Level 3
I have the same problem with my Exabyte VXA-3 PacketLoader

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
Tried NTBackup, however, it doesn't recognize the brand new tape in the drive. I get msg "There is no free media available w/ selected drive...Add unused media..."

Add media option is greyed out under Tools.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

1.Start SGMON
http://support.veritas.com/docs/190979 (select only ADAMM option in SGMON Window)

2.Start the job now and try cancling it....

Also "eject tape after backup" is selected or not ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

David_Parkin
Level 3
Chris

To try the operation in NTBackup I've found you need to use tape driver other than the Veritas one. Try the manufacturers own or MS default.

Bobby_Torres
Level 3
I have a support call open on this and it is a known bug. Please see the following link.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285165.htm

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
Yep, that sums it up here precisely.

Thanks Bobby for that, as I havn't had a chance to further work this issue using ntbackup and the other recommendation.

Chris

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Chris,

Apart from that, it could also be a problem that your Device does not support, Software intervention for Utility Jobs. You could confirm that from your Hardware Manufacturer.

Thanks
Regards

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
I'll log the question with Quantum.

But I'm confused as to how cancelling a backup job is considered a utility job. I've run inventory and catalog jobs and not have had this problem. (I've even cancelled a catalog job, and it cleans itself up fine; allowing me to eject the tape)

Chris

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
Quantum has confirmed that the sdlt 600 drive supports software intervention for utility jobs.

Bobby_Torres
Level 3
Chris, I believe your problem is still related to this software bug. It takes about 2 hours for my library to release a tape once I've cancelled a job. Since the job is stuck in a "running" state, I'm guessing that the tape drive hasn't received the command to eject the tape. If you stop and restart the BE services, does the tape eject?

Chris_Lunde
Level 3
Yes, that's the only way I can free the drive.

I'll be monitoring your thread though.

Thanks!