Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot append Media after a full backup

F_H
Level 3
Hey,

I hope someone can help me out.

I use a Quantum DLT / VS 80 tape drive with Backup exec 10. I schedule full backups ever night on a Windows 2000 server. This performs without a problem. After a full backup is complete I sometimes want to run a different backup job on the same tape. When I try to append the tape with a new job, it won't allow me without overwriting the data that is already on it.

The error message I get is "Cannot find any appendible media". There is more than enough free space on the tape to accommodate the second job I want to run.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Jeff_Allen
Level 4
what are the settings for your media set? some more details would help.

F_H
Level 3
On the scheduled full backup, I have the "Overwrite media" option selected.

On the second job I want to run on the same tape, I select "Append media, Terminate job if no appenable media is available".

The backup method I use for both jobs is "Full - Backup files - Using archive bit (reset archive bit)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you pointing to the same media set in the append job?

You can only append to a tape that contains an active backup set and is in the media set specified by your job

(By the way, this means that you cannot append to a new or new re-labeled tape)

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the above solution is applicable and has helped you. If not, please revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked
assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.