cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore indivual mailboxes

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Hey guys,

I have an BE 11d 7170 with SP2 installed, backing up Microsoft Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Stores.

The backup job completes successfully, but I can't see the mailboxes when trying to restore individual itens. The option "Enable restore of individual bla bla bla" is selected in the backup job... Other points:

-Restore of the entire database works well
-Job log:

Backup set description: "Diario"
Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started
The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.

Backup started on 26/12/2007 at 03:00:45.
Backup Set Detail Information
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log Logs was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database JRA was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Ligare was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database MDX was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Yellowcom was successful.

Backup completed on 26/12/2007 at 04:12:29.
Backup Set Summary
Backed up 5 Exchange Server stores
Processed 74.427.787.640 bytes in  1 hour,  11 minutes, and  44 seconds.
Throughput rate: 989 MB/min

Any ideias?? Thanks a lot in advance...

Rafael
43 REPLIES 43

green_hopper
Not applicable
have you installed licen for restoring individual mail box?

you are backing up microsft information store and not the microsoft exchange mailbox

alagappan al

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
The Exchange license is installed... GRT is included...

Thanks for your attention...

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
I've tried restarting Exchange Information Store and restalling the Remote Agent, but nothing happens.

Still can't see the mailboxes abote de Information Store when trying to use GRT.

Any ideas?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Are you backing up to disk or to tape?

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Directly to tape. Should it be a problem?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
It should not be a problem, but for a test can you run the backup to a disk on the Backup Exec server?

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Hmmm... In fact, I can restore the maiboxes when backing up to disk... Smiley Surprised

The problem is I really have no disk at the moment to support this design... Any ideias why GRT is not working with TAPE?

Thanks a lot for your help...

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I actually figured that would work, but needed to verify.  As for why it's not working to tape, we'll have to do some debugging to find out what is causing the problem.

So is exchange installed on the backup exec server or is it a remote server?

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
It is in a remote server, also running Windows 2003 SP2.

Just to be sure that it wasn't an Agent problem, I've re-installed it after upgrading the media server do SP2, but the error persists.

Thanks a lot for your atention!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Rafael,

I just sent you a private message with some instructions I need you to follow on both servers.  Once you have followed all the steps, run another Exchange backup to tape.  Let me know when that is completed and I will have more steps for you.

Russ_Fagan
Level 3
I have the same exact issue.  My backups to tape do not display the individual mailboxes for restore.  If I backup to disk, they do.

I'd rather backup directly to tape and have this work.

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Ok guys,

The debugs will be created this night... Coming back here tomorrow for us to take a look at the results.

Thanks a lot

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Rafeal,

When the debug is completed run through this technote. Enter in all 4's for the case number and select upload via ftp when prompted.  Let me know when the files have been uploaded.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285911.htm

ChristianF
Level 3
Hello,

having the same problem here.
I also opend a thread, mabe I should close.....

To figure out the problem I could also send debugfiles if u want....

Environment on BackupServer:
BackupExec Server 11d - 7170 - SP2
Windows 2003 x64 Storage Server SP1
Backup to Tape

Environment on ExchangeServer:
Exchange 2003 SP2
Windows 2003 32bit SP1
Remote Agent SP2

ChristianF
Level 3
Hi I have found the following...

Workaround:

1. Stop the Backup Exec services on the x64 bit media server.
2. Rename the EDBProv.dll located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec directory
3. Copy the EDBProv.dll from the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ directory on the remote Exchange server into the directory mentioned above on the media server.
4. Re-start the Backup Exec services on the media server.

I will check this tomorrow and let know if this helps, because I today I cant test because of daily backup.

ChristianF
Level 3
Ok now I can start the Backupjob, but after caching the files locally, i got

Access Denied

like it was befor applying SP2

The Workaround does work for the Connection Problem....

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Blipsey,

I've sent the VXGATHER results to the FTP(file name 111-111-111_SRVDB.cab).

How can I send you the logs(i couldn't access this symantec ftp on my own, just with the VxGather).

Thanks a lot

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Just go to ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/incoming/  Ignore the access denied error message.  It just means you can not read the contents of the directory.  You can still write to it.

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Ok blipsey, i've updated the file... 111-111-111_SRVDB.cab

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the delay.

Rafael