cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore indivual mailboxes

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Hey guys,

I have an BE 11d 7170 with SP2 installed, backing up Microsoft Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Stores.

The backup job completes successfully, but I can't see the mailboxes when trying to restore individual itens. The option "Enable restore of individual bla bla bla" is selected in the backup job... Other points:

-Restore of the entire database works well
-Job log:

Backup set description: "Diario"
Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started
The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.

Backup started on 26/12/2007 at 03:00:45.
Backup Set Detail Information
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log Logs was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database JRA was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Ligare was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database MDX was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Yellowcom was successful.

Backup completed on 26/12/2007 at 04:12:29.
Backup Set Summary
Backed up 5 Exchange Server stores
Processed 74.427.787.640 bytes in  1 hour,  11 minutes, and  44 seconds.
Throughput rate: 989 MB/min

Any ideias?? Thanks a lot in advance...

Rafael
43 REPLIES 43

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I need the cab file from the exchange server as well.  Let me know when you have put that one on the FTP.

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Should VXGATHER run under the Exchange machine(this one is not a media server) ?
I am trying to run it from the RAWS folder, but the error messege above appeared:

"This app has failed to start because the app config in incorrect. Restalling the app may fix the problem."
Obviouslly, I tried reinstalling the agent but it didn't helped..

Rafael

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Save off the application and system event logs as .evt files.  Also grab the beremote log file located in program files\symantec\raws and place them in a zip file.  Then upload that to the ftp for me.

Paulo
Level 4
I too am having a similar problem. I have installed sp2 for 11d 7170 running on Win2003 X64 Sp1. Since installing SP2 I can no longer browse my GRT backups to disk in order to restore individual items. I have applied hotfix 34 which is supposed to fix this issue, however I am still having the same issue.

I have posted about this several times and I have had not response which is very depressing. Can any of you guys help me with this?

thanks
Paul.

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Blipsey,

I don't know exacly why, but now the VXGATHER tools seems to be working. The file 111-111-111_spoex.cab has been uploaded.

Thanks a lot for your patience.

ChristianF
Level 3
@Paulo

Hi, I have the same problem as you.

Have you re-pushed the Agent to the ExchangeServer?
If yes, test the following workaround.

Workaround:

1. Stop the Backup Exec services on the x64 bit media server.
2. Rename the EDBProv.dll located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec directory
3. Copy the EDBProv.dll from the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ directory on the remote Exchange server into the directory mentioned above on the media server.
4. Re-start the Backup Exec services on the media server.

My problem after this is, that a restore always give the error access denied.

The Symantec Support is working on the Problem now for 1 MONTH and no solution yet.....

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Paulo,

This issue with the x64 machines has nothing to do with the issue we are treating in the topic(I am under x86) but I've solved this problem in other costumer basically doing the procedure ChristianF mentioned...

More details in the following KB: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/289815.htm

Good luck!

Message Edited by Rafael DAuria on 02-07-2008 02:35 PM

FK
Level 3
Partner
Hi Blipsey,

I am also facing the same issue, if you can provide me some workaround for the same it will be a great help

thanks

Faisal Khan
Consultant - Backup & Storage
Essen Vision Software
India

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Rafael,

I'll be going over the logs today.  Hopefully I'll be able to give you something today as well.

ChristianF
Level 3
Case: 320-084-265

Error in Logfile in my Case

[7352] 01/29/08 16:37:33 LP_ENV::MsgError: error 0xe0008488 processing object Postfachspeicher (KISRV1)Feneberg Christian [feneberg]Höchste Hierarchiestufe des ISPosteingangArbeitsspeicher

Hiten83
Level 2
Hi i was wandering if this was ever solved?

i ran a test job to disk and i can browse all mailboxes if i want to restore a indavidual mail etc but when i back up to tape i cannot do anything apart from restore the whole information store

Thanks

Thanos_2
Not applicable
Partner
What is happening with this issue with BE 11d 7170 full updated. I have got exactly the same problem, mailboxes not visible when restore from backup to tape. Exchange 2007 sp1. I have also installed hotfix-14 but no luck.

Message Edited by Thanos on 03-13-2008 09:13 AM

BlueCT
Not applicable
I have two questions.  1 has this been fixed 2. If there is a fix or work around does it work on backups you have already created or only new backups.  I have backups that I need to restore that I can not see individual mailboxes in.  I would really like to avoid restore an entire exchange server.
Thanks
Chris

Ness
Level 2
Partner Accredited
It's still not resolved....
I have this problem and the only way to see the mailboxes in the restore screen is to backup to disk....
I am still waiting for the Symantec experts to resolve this issue...

Exchange 2007
BE 11d 7170 sp2 hf38

If anyone know how to resolve this please let us now.....

Thank you

Debjais
Level 3
Employee
You seem to have the AOFO selected for youe exchnage backups, which is not recomended. Also the credentials for the GRT backups are not set.

1    The logon acount that you use should be a member of Domain admin group.
2    The acount should be a member of local administrator group on the exchnage server
3     The acount should have an active mail box
4     The acount should not be hidden from the Exchnage GAL
5     On the ESm on the organisation leavel delegate control to the acount with the exchnage full admin roll.
6     The inheritance of properties and security should not be unchecked at any leavel till the store.

please follow the above steps and then take a fresh backup and then check the restoration. if it doesnt work let me know - I will get your issue resolved.

Regards
Debjais

Not applicable
Hi @all,

we use Backup Exec 11d SP2 with all installed updates on an Server 2003 R2 X86 Media Server to backup an Exchange 2007 SP1 X64 to a LTO 3 Tape Loader. The restore of individual mailboxes worked fine until installation exchange SP1. Now we are not able to see mailboxes in the catalog. We reinstalled the agent, rebooted the exchange. We also reinstalled the the actual messaging api and collaboration data objects 1.2.1 on the exchange 2007. But it still does not work. We also tried a backup to disc, but then we get an error "access denied" and in the restore screen only the logfiles are shown.
Has anyone an idea how to get this software working correctly?

Kind regards

Jochen Vosbeck

BackupExecFan
Level 2

This is an ongoing issue which does not appear to have a clear solution.

My catalogs always showed mailbox information until this March of this year. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped working.

Would the folks at Symantec please issue a patch for this issue?

Message Edited by Scallica on 07-08-2008 09:05 AM

Ness
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Symantec has the backup v.12 so probably they don't bother with this issue.. But that is a bad company policy.

I would like to see a comment of a symantec expert please.....

Message Edited by Ness on 07-08-2008 09:32 AM

MoXa_Corp
Not applicable

So, some people get it workink, some people not. If I'm one of those who got it not working, what should I do? Upgrade? Pray to god?

Ness
Level 2
Partner Accredited

You have one solution to make this work:

You can backup to disk and then the individual mailboxes will appear.

You can also backup that images to tape.....and release the space from disk (delete the images)...

But this is not a solution..... it's putting a  patch in the hole.

Symantec Experts are you there????? solutions besides updating to v.12 (that work)

Does anyone from symantec sees this????