cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing "System State" for backup selection hangs BE

JFerreira
Level 3
Greetings,

Recently, I noticed that two jobs, a weekly full followed by a daily differential, were not completing.  The first job was one of the differentials and was hung at what amounts to approximately 2% of completion.  The other job was "queued" while waiting for the former to complete.  When I initially set these jobs up the middle of last month, I tested them and they completed successfully, so I am a bit stuck as to how this problem has occurred.  What I have found after some troubleshooting is that my system account hangs when it attempts to interract with the Exchange server's System State or Shadow Copy  selections.  To the best of my knowledge, nothing has changed with the system account and the credentials are able to interract appropriately with the Exchange server as far as shared directories, even authenticating against the host.  But when I attempt to test resource credentials in the job, or simply attempt to create a new job with the same properties as the problematic jobs, BE hangs and I have to end task on the application.

- Backup Exec v11D
- We're using a DataDomain Restorer unit for our backup device, not a tape device
- Job backs up 3 directories, System State and Shadow Copy selections

What sort of information can I offer if the above is not sufficient?
6 REPLIES 6

AndrewMB
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I had a similar issue yesterday. I have just installed BE 11d build 7170, fully patched on a client running W2k3 SBS sp1, but with that "other" product Arc**rve on it. The existing backup is part of a suite from CA that has caused all sorts of issues that even CA had major problems working around (don't know if it is all working yet 2 years later....) so I don't want to remove it until I can get BE working. Stopping all services seems to be ok there. When I try to set up a selection list if I select system state or shadow copy components the selection list hangs. Also if I try to test the resource credentials it hangs. The only way out is to kill BE.

The suite from CA includes pest patrol and AV, but I don't think they are causing the issues - I killed the pest patrol service and it still happened.

Any ideas please? The client is getting desperate to get rid of the Arc**rve software

Thanks

JFerreira
Level 3
After reading a thread about hotfix updates, I tried reinstalling the remote agents and this problem has been resolved.  You may wish to look into reinstalling the remote agents, Andrew.

Cheers,
John F.

AndrewMB
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Thanks  John, but I don't have any remote agents being used, this is just a local issue on a SBS 2k3 server. The thread you mentioned may be of interest anyway though - any idea which one it was?

regards

Andrew  B

JFerreira
Level 3
Hi Andrew,

The thread discusses the need to update remote agents when hotfixes have been applied.  Best of luck in diagnosing the issue you are experiencing.

Cheers,
John F.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Andrew,

Are you able to backup the system state with NTBackup?

AndrewMB
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi Ben,
I haven't tried with NT Backup, but as  I mentioned I am trying to get rid of Arc***ve and that will back it up quite happily.
Thanks,
Andrew