cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication Stalled Backup Exec Services die when using Encryption

Brian_Riffle
Level 3
 Running 11.0.7170 With SP2, Hotfixes 31,32,33,34,35

My Daily Differential backup worked fine on Monday, however, Tuesday morning, I created a 256bit AES key, and told tuesdays' Differential backup to use this key.  Backup starts running on one of my servers.  Goes to "communication Stalled", Then it shows "recovered", Then communication Failed, and server status goes to "Stopped".  The first system we are trying to backup is running as a MS Virtual Server 2005 R2 image, with the agent installed on that virtual server.  Any Ideas? 
5 REPLIES 5

Brian_Riffle
Level 3
I should also mention, I am using a DLT drive for the backup, not an LTO.  A DLT 7000 to be exact, and a SDLT 600 for the full backups on the weekend.  I have seen other posts that talk about problems with encryption and LTO drives buffers.

Brian_Riffle
Level 3
I removed the "encryption" from the backup job, and it is now running normally.

Brian_Riffle
Level 3
After some additional Testing, I have found that I can encrypt backups that are sent to a B2D folder, and it works fine.  When I try to Encrypt to either our DLT7000 Autoloader, or Quantum SDLT 600 Superloader, it kills the engine service, and just fails spectacularly.

Brian_Riffle
Level 3
I have tried, with a symantec tech's help using the Open file option, did not help.  I have also turned off compression, we were using software compression, also did not help.  The backup always fails on the last file it tries to backup.  Have updated the firmware and drivers to the newest available for both the tapes, and the SCSI cards.

Bill_Carmody
Not applicable
Hi Brian. Have you found a solution for this? I have the identical problem. I can get encryption working with b2d, as well as on a different server with a single SDLT drive. But when I try on my daily backup server, to an HP 5026 library with 2 SDLT drives, I get the identical problem. I have also spoken to support on numerous occasions and tried all kinds of solutions. They eventually told me that it is a known problem, and will eventually be resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.