cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure BackupExec to validate the date of the copied files

Mcnrocha
Level 3
Hello everyone, would like to know if BackupExec has the configuration feature to validate the date of the copied files. In our company we use the BackupExec 12.0 with Service Pack 4 to copy the backup of database systems. Backup files of these databases are generated in disk by command-line utility, scheduled to run from Windows scheduled tasks, automating the process of generating these files. In this environment, we have files being generated once a day and files generated each hour. Afterwards the generated files are copied to the Backup Exec tapes. Because the utility generation of backup files an application to be limited, we have no logs or notification of failure in the process of generating them. Therefore, we are in danger of copying old files without realizing it, because BackupExec is programmed to copy only the files in a specific folder. An alternative would be to program the BackupExec to evaluate the date and time of files copied, and in case of delay, to register the failure in the logs of the backup jobs. They would know whether the BackupExec has this feature? If so, could inform or document to indicate the configuration of the same? []s. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You could make your job an INCREMENTAL rather than a FULL

That way, once the file has been backed up successfully, the Archive bit will be turned off, and it will be skipped on all subsequent INCR jobs 

(A FULL job would reset all Archive Bits, so all data in the folder would be grabbed by the next INCR)

Mcnrocha
Level 3
Ok Ken, but in fact my intention is to use BackupExec as an "auditor" of the utility's generating the backup file. Because the utility has no logs, must periodically check the folder the file to validate your date from generation to make sure that it was generated correctly. If BackupExec could validate the modification date of the file being generated for the current day, I would avoid using and enjoying a third tool to perform this action.

Thanks for the feedback

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I suppose you could script up something to check the name of the file(s) in a given directory, but it if was me, I'd just grab them using an INCR job, and validate using a cmd file using REXX or VB or something run with Windows Task Scheduler, rather than trying to get really complicated with BackupExec and BEMCMD