cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirming SQL database is backed up

Jason_Minahan
Level 3
We just started backing up a new SQL server for SaleLogix and we have the SQL agent with a license for it. The first couple backups ran with no errors, but I want to makes sure the SQL database was definitely picked up. How do I go about verifying it? When I do a restore on the tape it shows the C: and D: of the box as well as this:

Microsoft SQL server - 11-23-2005 - SQL DB - Full

When I set up the job, I made sure the following was selected:

Microsoft SQL Server

This is all new to me and the only stuff I know about SQL is how to run queries, so I don't really know enough to be sure. Does that selection backup the full database? Finally, does anyone know any tips for backing up SQL server and if there is other stuff I have to backup too to get a good restore?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

order to backup SQL server following components are required.

A] If SQL is installed on Backup Exec server then following SQL components are required to be installed on Backup Exec Server.( Add the necessary SQL components from the MIcrosoft SQL Server installation CD)

SQL Server 2000 : Server and Client tools
SQL Server 7.0 : Management Tools, Server Components and Client Connectivity
SQL Server 6.x : SQL Server and Utilities
·
B] If SQL is installed on Remote Server then following SQL components are required to be installed on Backup Exec Server..( Add the necessary SQL components from the MIcrosoft SQL Server installation CD)

SQL Server 2000 : Client Connectivity ( SQL Server 2000 Client Connectivity must be installed on the media server in order to connect to a remote named instance. If only SQL 7.0 Client connectivity is installed, then it is not possible to connect to a remote named instance of SQL 2000 )
SQL Server 7.0 : Management Tools and Client Connectivity
SQL Server 6.x : Utilities Only
·
Additionally on remote SQL server, Remote Agent is required.

C] Add Backup Exec service account in the "Administrators " Group on SQL Server and the Backup Exec server

D] Make "SQL Agent" service to start automatic in "Startup" tab. Ensure that SQL Server and SQL Agent services are running.
===========================================
For backing up SQL folder (Flat file backup) make sure that all the SQL
services are stopped from services applet. Then the files in these folders
will not skip from backup.
When these services are running, you may backup SQL server database from
the SQL selection (which is available after installing Backup Exec SQL
agent) in the Backup Exec. For performing SQL folder backup, you need to
stop SQL services even when SQL agent is installed.
For further clarification, please refer following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242688.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
> full database? Finally, does anyone know any tips for
> backing up SQL server and if there is other stuff I
> have to backup too to get a good restore?

I like the KISS principle, so I don't use the BE SQL agent et al. I simply let SQL make its dumps, database and transaction logs, onto another disk and I then backup the files.

Regards
A van der Boom

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Jason,
You may either restore the backed up data or check the backup job log for details on the data that was backed up.The Tools>Options> Job logs menu allows you to select the level of detail to include in the job log.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.