cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continued TapeAlert Error 65314 -- even after tape drive is cleaned

greg_brown
Level 3
Hi,

I have been receiving a TapeAler Error 65314 on my Dell PowerEdge 1800 server running BackExec 10.0 :

Backup Exec Alert: Tape Alert Error (Server: "MyServer00") (Job: "Backup-Daily") Critical - The tape drive needs cleaning: 1. If the operation has stopped, eject the tape and clean the drive. 2. If the operation has not stopped, wait for it to finish and then clean the drive. Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions. Robotic Library: Drive: DELL 1 Slot: For more information, click the following link: http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtm

I received this error last week, cleaned the tape drive, but continue to receive the error. I have been running daily backups on this device successfully for just over a year. Even with this error, my daily backup suceeds.

I've searched the forum for similar errors, but didn't find similar scenario, as others seemed to get it with other hardware or recent installs. Can someone advise what to do about this error, since cleaning the tape drive does not seem to alleviate?

Thank you,

Greg
2 REPLIES 2

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check the system log for any errors related to the device.

Thanks,

greg_brown
Level 3
Hi, Sharvari,

Thank you for your response. There are no other system or application errors other than the TapeAlert one I mention in my first email.

Meanwhile, I clicked the "Device" tab in Backup Exec 10.0 and checked the properties for my Dell 4mm tape drive. The "Cleaning" tab indicated that the device had never been cleaned since Oct 8, 2005 -- when I originally installed Backup Exec. I clicked the Help button, and it mentioned that only robotic tape devices can have cleaning jobs, and that for standalone devices, like my Dell, one should click the "Reset cleaning statistics" when they have manually cleaned the drive. It seems this is the simple solution, but let me ask -- what constitutes a cleaning? It is just a matter of running a cleaning tape through the drive for 30 seconds or so? This is all I do every 3 or 4 months for cleaning. Is that enough to clean from BackupExec's perspective and thus I should also click the reset cleaning statistics every time I do that? Or, is more involved cleaning recommended, such as taking the device apart or using alcohol swabs, etc? I guess that's a question for Dell, but again, from Backup Exec's perspective what constitutes a cleaning that one would reset the cleaning statistics and avoid the TapeAlert error?

Thank you,

Greg