cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt Files

David_37
Level 3
Just upgraded to 11d and I have a small issue I'd like to resolve.
There are several outlook files on the server (.pst) that are in use (the user didn't log off at night) so when Veritas attempts to back them up, I get an error that the file is corrupt and that the file cannot verify.
Is there something I can set that will not produce those errors? In otherwords, I don't really care if they don't get backed up or not, and I'd like to see my backups pass if those were the only errors.

Thank you in advance for your help!

David
6 REPLIES 6

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
The following document contains a registry hack that will prevent jobs from failing in the event of a corrupt file.  Although, it is important to remember that no job will fail if there are any corrupt files.  Another option would be to use the Adavnced Open File Option to backup this server.

How to prevent Backup Exec from failing a backup operation when encountering corrupt files (excluding Microsoft Exchange files)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/193940

David_37
Level 3
Thank you for the response. As the 'corrupt file' error isn't really indicating that these files are truely corrupt, simply that they are opened, I'd prefer not to use a registry hack. I've read through the documentation on the advanced file open stuff, but it isn't jumping out at me how to set this up properly. Any advice?

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
The Advanced Open File Option is a feature that you have to purcahse.  Once you have a license for it, you will see 'advanced open file' on the left side in your job properties.

David_37
Level 3
So if I go into the properties of my backup job where I can see headings like "Source", "Destination", "Settings", and "Frequency" and the Advanced File isn't listed there, its safe to assume I haven't purchased that?
How do I go about finding out the costs for this option? Thanks again for all your help!

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
You should contact your reseller about pricing.  You also check help->about->license information to see what you have licenses for.

Steve_Mullenix
Level 4
I use the registry change a lot.  People unfamilier with BE tend to see this giant screen of red and think there has been a meltdown in the backups when only a couple pst's are at risk.  I haven't had a lot of luck with the AOFO personally with these files and job state.  It does however give you the advantage of generally being able to recover this data.  They will still fail to verify though so the job will still error out, which I think was your primary concern.

Or maybe a way to change the fail to completed with exceptions for these very common files?

Message Edited by Steve Mullenix on 05-16-200710:25 PM