cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Maintenance Failure

David_Bousquet
Level 2
I am getting the following error when my media server does its database maintenance procedure on the local sql 2005 express database.

Summary of database maintenance activity:

Maintenance has failed: 10, Dump database failed
Total elapsed time: 00:00:17

I have verified that no jobs are active when this maintenance is occurring. I also cannot dump the database using the beutility.
7 REPLIES 7

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check the technote to resolve the issue.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276073

Thanks,

David_Bousquet
Level 2
I ran the database consistency check which came back with the following:

Starting database utility operation.
Performing database consistency check for BEDB database.
Error: The check of the database failed.
Database utility for server YAMBACKUP ended with errors.

I then ran the Rebuild Indices without error and then ran a repair of the database with errors.

I again ran the database consistency check and I am still getting the same error. I also still cannot dump the database.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Follow the steps below to repair the Backup Exec database:

1. Open BEUTILITY (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)

2. Add the Media server a. Right click on All Media Servers and choose "Add Media Server"

3. Right click on the media server and stop the services .

4. In C:\Program Files\VERITAS\BACKUP Exec\NT\Data copy the BEDB_DAT.MDF

5. In BEUTILITY Right click on the media server name and choose "Repair Database"

After completion of Repair Database process, ensure that all the services are started.

Also perform a repair installation of backup exec:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Thank You,

Shweta

David_Bousquet
Level 2
I ran a repair without errors when doing my previous troubleshooting. I mistyped my last post. It should have said I ran the repair WITHOUT errors. I tried running a repair install on backupexec and it failed saying it had been interrupted. The install log has the following error in it.

01-05-2007,08:11:58 : V-225-205: ERROR: Invalid object name 'msdb.dbo.suspect_pages'. Problems recording information in the msdb..suspect_pages table were encountered. This error does not interfere with any activity except maintenance of the suspect_pages table. Check the error log for more information. sql:EXEC sp_detach_db 'BEDB', 'true' ***To search for information about this error, click here
01-05-2007,08:11:58 : WARNING: Unable to detach BEDB from SQL Server. If this is your SQL server, attach new BEDB database manually.
01-05-2007,08:11:58 : V-225-118: Error installing BEDB ***To search for information about this error, click here
01-05-2007,08:11:58 : Action ended 8:11:58: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
I don't know if this technote matches your environment, but the error matches:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/285131

It's a configuration issue with SQL that prevents a proper upgrade when using the Central Administration Server Option (CASO)

I hope that can at least point you in the right direction.

David_Bousquet
Level 2
I saw that technote and it really doesn't apply to my environment. I'm just using 11d on a stand alone server.

Paul_Nagel
Not applicable
I ran into this same database maintenance issue.  What caused the issue for me was the Symantec Backup Exec 10D DLO configuration.  I needed to perform a repair installation, which upgraded the SQL database components for the DLO agent, I verified the services where started, and (using Management Studio) verified the SQL DLO instance had the DLO database attached.  After verifying these settings, the consistency check passed without error.