cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database PROD_DB is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups are not being performed. This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space. Regular log backups should be scheduled or the database should be changed.

nnn
Level 4

Hi,

We use Symantec exec 2010 R3. We simple backup up of couple databases. After some time one database backup came with warning:

V-79-40960-37914 - Database PROD_DB is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log back...

I have read:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126063

We use regular full simple bachup every month and week, also Differential every day backup of couple database.

Is it strange that I backup 2 databases from different ms sql instances but only one is reporting the warning.

What is the best way to avoid this warning? Should I configure another backup job under same template and select to backup transaction log for this DB?

thank you,
n

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can configure two templates in 1 policy to do what you want, but I don't think you want to do that.  This is because your database backup would include databases which use simple recovery mode, i.e, they don't maintain logs.  For example, the master database.  You would need to have a second selection list which excludes those databases which do not maintain logs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As far as I know that warning used to be setup to not be reported on every job as it was recognizied that the backup admin might need a reminder, but also that the SQL dba might be truncating the logs another way.

The only way to avid the warning is to change the recovery model for SQL, BUT you should only do this after checking with your SQL dba. It might be that you have one databalse using the other recovery model already which is why only one of them has warned.

Oh and if you get the warning and aren't truncating the logs another way then you do need to run log backups of SQL using BE as well as Full backups.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is it strange that I backup 2 databases from different ms sql instances but only one is reporting the warning.

No. The other database could be using simple recovery mode, i.e. it is not maintaining a transaction log

What is the best way to avoid this warning? Should I configure another backup job under same template and select to backup transaction log for this DB?

Yes.  You should configure another job to backup the transaction log and truncate it, but you should not use the same selection list.  You should only backup the log of the database that is giving the error message (PROD_DB).  If you include the ohter database in your log backup job, you will get an error because it does not have a log.

nnn
Level 4

Should I configure regular log server backup as file? should I configure backup log file before or after database backup? will it make warning to disapare from sql backup? should I reconfigure SQL server in any way?

thank you,
n

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Just schedule a log backup job after your database backup and the error message will be gone.  You can do the log backup either to disk or tape.

nnn
Level 4

if I understand you right, I will include this file to schedule file backups

thank you

nnn
Level 4

can I configure two jobs in same tamplate. One job for full db backup and other for log - back up transaction log and create a rule to sart sql log backup after sql db full backup?

thank you,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can configure two templates in 1 policy to do what you want, but I don't think you want to do that.  This is because your database backup would include databases which use simple recovery mode, i.e, they don't maintain logs.  For example, the master database.  You would need to have a second selection list which excludes those databases which do not maintain logs.

nnn
Level 4

I would include only databases that maintain logs in the selection list and perform log backup just after full db backup, wil that work?

thank you,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.