cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device driver incompatibility with ntbackup

Level 3
How can I use ntbackup (to do an ASR backup) on a Windows Server 2003 system after installing Backup Exec 9.1, including the Veritas-supplied driver for the tape subsystem? When I try to backup to tape using ntbackup, I get the following message:
"There is no free media available with the selected type"
and the ntbackup logfile contains:
"Cannot locate the specified media or backup device. This backup operation will terminate."

On a Microsoft newsgroup, I found the following information related to this situation:
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
Date: 2004-09-29 14:43:45 PST
"If you previously were using Veritas, then you probably installed the Veritas supplied driver for your tape subsystem at that time. In order to now use NTBackup, you will need to reload the Windows supplied driver for your tape drive."

Swapping device drivers to change from using Backup Exec to ntbackup (and back again) is not something I want to be doing every time I need to run Microsoft ASR backup (ntbackup). We use Backup Exec for daily data backup, and would like to run ASR backup occasionally on the same machine.

Is there some way to run ntbackup on this system without changing device drivers? There is only one server in this installation.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
9 REPLIES 9

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

When Veritas drivers are installed then the control of the tape device is taken by Backup Exec.
Therefore when you are trying to use NTBackup utility when Veritas drivers are present on the system, this error is occuring.
To be able to use NTBackup utility, you need to use OEM drivers i.e the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the device.
But please note that there is no gurantee of Backup Exec working fine with OEM drivers.
Please refer to use NT Backup:
How to prepare for and start an NT Backup

1. Stop any Backup Exec jobs that may be running
2. Exit Backup Exec
3. Open Windows Services
a. Stop all services that begin with "Backup Exec"
b. Set all services that begin with "Backup Exec" to Manual start
c. Locate and start the service named Removable Storage
d. Set Removable Storage service to Automatic start
4. Remove the VERITAS drivers - requires a reboot:
a. Go to \Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT
b. Launch the tapeinst.exe utility
c. Select Uninstall and remove all VERITAS device drivers from your system
d. Also select Delete entries for tape devices that are not available
5. After the re-boot, check Windows Device Manager and ensure hardware is recognized correctly
6. Open NT Backup found in Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools
a. Select Backup and run your backup from this Windows utility
b. Either use the Backup Wizard on the Welcome tab or select the Backup tab to manually configure the backup job

Please refer to the following technote to install OEM drivers:

Title:
How to use original equipment manufacturer drivers with VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers 9.x
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253974

Hope this helps you.

Regards.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Level 3
Thanks for the information and very clear instructions for reverting to OEM drivers. However, this does not resolve my problem.

The reason for wanting to run ntbackup is to use the Microsft ASR backup capability that comes with Windows Server 2003. I need to find a bare-metal restore solution for a server on which Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 is installed and used for normal daily backups. The Backup Exec documentation even recommends ASR as a component of a disaster recovery plan, and the Backup Exec IDR option integrates with Microsoft ASR, according the Backup Exec 10 white paper.

The driver incompatibility negates any attempt to combine Backup Exec and ASR! I have tried running Backup Exec with Microsoft drivers, and it will not work, as you suggest might be the case. It doesn't make sense to switch drivers every time I want to make an ASR backup, then switch back to Veritas drivers for normal daily backups.

What do you recommend for bare-metal restore in this situation, at a site where there is just one server? At the time of purchasing and installing Backup Exec, it was not apparent that we would lose the ASR backup capability, which had been working fine up to that point!

ASR backup to a disk file works OK, of course. Is there a way to use Backup Exec to write this file to tape so that I can accomplish a bare-metal restore, by booting from the Windows install CD, or even to create a bootable tape?

It would be most appreciated if you could point me in the right direction. I'm sure this situation is not unique, so there must be other customers with similar requirements.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

In the previous post we have included information for using the device with NT backup. For details on bare metal utility please contact Microsft support.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Level 3
The response from Renuka does not answer my question:
How can I use Backup Exec 9.1 and ntbackup on the same machine without changing device drivers?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

There is no way to use NT Backup and Backupexec on the same machine without changing device drivers. You can install OEM drivers and take a NT backup and also a normal backup , howerver in that case Veritas does not guarantee successful Backups and restore.

Hope that answers your query.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the answered threads pool.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello 593114914,

1. I have nowhere mentioned that you can take an NT backup AND Backup exec 9.1 backups without changing drivers !!

2. I have simply stated that the process has been very well described in the our previous post done by Ajit.

3. If you wish that I repeat it on the other hand :

How to prepare for and start an NT Backup

1. Stop any Backup Exec jobs that may be running

2. Exit Backup Exec

3. Open Windows Services

a. Stop all services that begin with "Backup Exec"

b. Set all services that begin with "Backup Exec" to Manual start

c. Locate and start the service named Removable Storage

d. Set Removable Storage service to Automatic start

4. Remove the VERITAS drivers - requires a reboot:

a. Go to \Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT

b. Launch the tapeinst.exe utility

c. Select Uninstall and remove all VERITAS device drivers from your system

d. Also select Delete entries for tape devices that are not available

5. After the re-boot, check Windows Device Manager and ensure hardware is recognized correctly

6. Open NT Backup found in Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools

a. Select Backup and run your backup from this Windows utility

b. Either use the Backup Wizard on the Welcome tab or select the Backup tab to manually configure the backup job

I hope that answers your question if not please write back with the update.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Level 3
Thanks for spelling out the situation clearly. I am disappointed by this incompatibility, which was certainly not obvious when I bought and installed BE 9.1. BE has many excellent features that make it vastly superior to ntbackup in meeting my company's requirements. The only reason I am interested in ntbackup is that it can create an ASR backup to tape.

My real question is:
"Is it possible to create a system backup that would be suitable for a bare metal restore (to a new, but similar system) in the event of a major hardware failure or other disaster, on a system where BE 9.1 has been installed?"

When my company bought BE 9.1, I counted on being able to use Microsoft's ASR (a feature of ntbackup on Windows Server 2003) to perform system backup as part of a Disaster Preparation Plan. In fact, the online help that comes with BE 9.1 recommends using ASR. Here is a quote from the help section "Disaster Preparation and Recovery":

"Using Windows' Automated System Recovery and System Restore to Recover a Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 System
The ASR feature, which replaces the Emergency Repair Disk for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, allows you to restore the operating system to a previous state so that you can start Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003 when other recovery methods do not work."

Reading this led me to believe that I could continue to create ASR backups on tape periodically, just as I did before installing BE 9.1. You're telling me I cannot do this without either:
1- Reverting to Microsoft drivers permanently
2- Switching drivers every time ntbackup is needed

Option #1 is no good. I have tried running BE 9.1 with MS drivers, but it could not recognize a loaded tape.
Option #2 is not practical. Our server operates 24x7 with minimal downtime. Typically we reboot the OS only once a month.

Because BE 9.1 is functionally superior to ntbackup, it must be capable of creating a system backup tape that can be used in a bare metal restore situation. Ideally the system restore should be automated, like Microsoft's ASR. If BE 9.1 cannot do this, there would seem to be a gaping hole in its feature set.

Can you explain to me, or direct me to a technical note that explains how to create a system backup using BE 9.1, and perform a bare metal restore using that backup? The goal is to restore the OS and data files (except active database files) to their pre-disaster state.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following document for backup and restore of an ASR.
Title:
How to restore a Windows server using the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option in Backup Exec 9.x
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262134

However if you are backing up using Backup Exec, please use the same for restore.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Level 3
I will follow the instructions as suggested.