cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery Backup Exec

Vlado_
Level 2

Hello,

I want to ask experienced users how to deal with Disaster Recovery plan for Backup EXEC server.
I would like to prepare this plan, but so far all my attempts have failed.
We take the condition that I have a single Backup EXEC server that has an iSCSI attached storage that is used as a Deduplication disk. How can I recover from it when the Backup EXEC server itself, which has also been backed up by itself, goes wrong.
I can build a new Backup EXEC server, but I can't import a Deduplication disk into it. So if this happens, I have backups, but I can't use them.
So is there any recommended way to get to the data and restore Backup EXEC itself from backup? Or is it a good idea to use a different backup method for the server? (Windows Backup, vRanger, etc.)?
In this scenario, it would probably not help me to have a Distater Recovery Disk, because it needs to have a working Backup Exec server to which it connects and with which it communicates recovery time. It seems to me like a loop from which you can't come out. :)

Well thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You would do the following:

1. Backup the Data/Catalogs folders on the media server;

2. In the event of a server crash, reinstall Backup Exec.

3. Restore the Data/Catalogs folders to a temporary folder.

4. Stop the BE services, rename the newly installed Data/Catalogs folders to something like Data_OLD.

5. Copy the restored Data/Catalogs folders to the installed drive and start up the services.

This should show you your B2D.

You can consider backing up the Data/Catalogs folders to a B2D, or copying them to a folder on the backup storage.

HI, you can use SDR for protecting the BE Server, but not with a deduplication device as a target!

1) Use a "simple" backup-to-disk target, like USB disk or network share as target (or even a tape)

2) adjust the selection list to not include backup-to-disk devices, especially the deduplication store

i've attached an example picture, because you have not only to exclude the drive, but also the "Shadow Copy Compontents - User data - Backup Exec Deduplication Store"

Hint: this component can be used to protect the dedup-store (if necessary)

Hope that helps

Gerhard

DanielCapilla
Level 4

[...]
So is there any recommended way to get to the data and restore Backup EXEC itself from backup? Or is it a good idea to use a different backup method for the server? (Windows Backup, vRanger, etc.)?
[...]

You have many of options.
The easiest one we use for many years now is: Bare-Metal Image Backup of the whole Backup-Exec Server. In most cases we use the build in Windows Server Backup to USB-Disk.
Restores work well and fast (tested!).

The only thing you maybe need, is a seperate USB-Drive with RAID-Drivers. Nothing more.
Restore takes about 30 to 45 minutes - then you may restore from DeDup, Tape-Backup etc. within Backup-Exec.

The other options (catalogue backup etc.) work as well, but take ages in comparison.