cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk-based media question

mpare
Level 4
I have a job that uses disk-based media.  When the job went to start, I received a warning that the Backup-to-Disk device is out of free space. 

I checked the drive, and the available free space had dipped below the Disk Space Reserve threshold.  I then checked the media that is assigned to this Backup-to-Disk folder, and about half of the media was overwritable.

Why is my job not using the overwritabe, available media?  It appears that it wants to create a new backup file instead of reusing what is there - in fact, it does not appear that it has ever used overwritable media. 

The job is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available".  I'd prefer to leave it set to this setting.  It looks like there is one appendable media file still available but it can't grow the file because of the disk space reserve - it appears that this is why my job is queued... yet there are tons of overwritable media available!  Is there some way to override this setting only when the disk space reserve threshold has been breached?  Or, is my only option to change the job setting to "Overwrite media"?

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The job is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available"

with this set, the data will never be overwritten, since the OPP for every BKF file in the Append group is reset each time the last one is closed

You need to do an overwrite once in a while (weekly maybe) so that all tapes/BKF files in an append set can expire and become reuseable