cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive I/O Error

Brett_Walters_2
Level 4
Partner
HP Proliant DL380, with HP Ultrium-3 1/8 Autoloader connected to Ultra320 SCSI, running Windows 2003. Each slot in the Autoloader is its own partition to facilitate job/media separation. Each night this week, when the nightly job runs, I get the following error. If I restart the job, it runs fine, it just doesn't want to start and complete by itself. Typically, the job only runs a few minutes and less than 1Gb of data is backed up, but last night it ran for 2 hours, then failed. I have reviewed http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255501.htm and verified that the drivers are correct, the library is on its own SCSI connection, I am not getting Event ID 5's, or Event ID 7's, 9's, 11's or 15's. Only 33152, 57665 and 34113.

Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
{1F52D75B-EF60-4CA7-8F29-FC472D7415B8}
Media = "Oxford Wednesday 1"
{D5EF9449-D6A8-401A-9A7F-552A20C0AB77}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

I can run jobs manually and do not seem to have any trouble...suggestions or thoughts?

PS: Additionally, in Device Manager, under Removable Storage, Libraries, it is displaying a red X on the library itself.

The Adamm.log file has the appropriate Inquiry String ("HP Ultrium 3-SCSI G38W") and the loader has the latest firmware and drivers from Veritas (200251215_281519), however the VSDLoadTable does not list the Ultrium3-SCSI loader.

WINMSD shows SCSIChanger started.

going through the rest of the article, but I am not hopeful that this is going to resolve, as it seems to be worried about the loader showing offline, which mine does not in BackupExec...

Message was edited by:
Brett WaltersMessage was edited by:
Brett Walters
5 REPLIES 5

Brett_Walters
Level 3
Still doing it, and following the items in that checklist has only succeeded in making it worse...now it only writes about 2MB of data.

Brett_Walters
Level 3
Uninstalled Veritas, and guess what? Removable storage recognizes the Autoloader just fine. Remove all traces of Veritas, reboot, still good. Reinstall Veritas 10.0d, and now Removable Storage has a problem with the autoloader, and I cannot write to tape. I am writing to disk for tonight, but am calling Veritas tomorrow and someone is sitting on the phone with me until it is fixed, and I don't care if that means tying someone up for 10 hours. Get ready for a long call, someone!

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Brett,

What is the deivce that you are using for backup. Is it a standalone device or a library?

Have you installed the latest drivers?

Is the device connected to a RAID controller? If yes then move it to a SCSI controller?

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brett_Walters_2
Level 4
Partner
Thank you for the reply...but all your questions are answered in the original post. It is a HP Autoloader, Ultrium 960 1/8, and it is connected to an Ultra320 SCSI card, not a RAID controller. The current drivers have been installed.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

- The removable storage service should be stopped and disabled.

- Please check if the device is compatible with backup exec: http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/281669.pdf
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.