cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate more than one Job on a tape

Danijel_Brncic
Level 5
Hi,

what i´m searching for is a solution, that a´m able to make a duplicaton after a couple of jobs. the duplication should copy them on one tape

what i´m alble to do is to create a duplicate job on each job, but this will write one job on each tape.

manually i´m able to select more donejobs in the catalog, wo write them on one tape, but not autmoated.

i can´t work also with suspention, beacaus i want to decide that backupjob 1,2,3 will be written on one tape and 4,5,6 on another tape, independent of the free capacity of a tape...

sorry for bad english ;)
6 REPLIES 6

Danijel_Brncic
Level 5
isn't this possible?
need some help from professions...

no ideas?!Message was edited by:
dbrncic

RonJ_2
Level 2
I would think it is possible. Leave the automated duplicate at the end of the jobs. The first job that complets each night set it to overwrite the tape. the remaining jobs that complete set them to append and they should all go to a single tape.

Danijel_Brncic
Level 5
hm Ithink that this doesn´t work, because i got no garanty that the jobs start and end always the same.
and the probolem is, that i need e.g. jobs 123 on tape a and 456 on tape 4...

what i don´t understand is, that such an function does not exist in backup exec or i do not find it.

i can mark more then one existing backup to duplicate them on one tape.
but it´s not possible to select more duplication jobs for an automatic duplication?

:(

Danijel_Brncic
Level 5
has veriats also no idea how to solve this?
now i have to put too many different servers into one job, to duplicate them on tape...

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
dbrncic

In a nutshell - you want to be able to specify a number of jobs in the 1 duplicate job setup, then run the 1 duplicate job after the last backup job specified in the duplicate job has been run.

Now I hope this doesn't get too confusing - it's a bit hard to explain.

I had a look at a policy setup, where here you can create a duplicate template to include a number of backup templates - in this scenario when the duplicate job runs, it will include all the backups specified in the duplicate template.

The gotcha here is, all templates (whether they be backup or duplicate templates) must reside in the same policy.
What would be perfect here is a Duplicate Policy which allows you to include a number of other Policy's.

The only way I can see you doing this with Backup Exec at the moment is the following:-

1. I take it you have an autoloader or library - by saying you want backups 1,2,3 to go to Tape 1, and then 4,5,6 to go to Tape 4?
If you do - the only way to make sure that Backup Exec targets a specific slot is to setup partitions on the loader.
See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/206843.htm for creating partitions.
You would create a partition for Slot 1 and another Partition for Slot 4.

2. Once the partitions are created, you would then setup Duplicate jobs to target specific partitions. So the first duplicate job for Slot 1 will be an Overwrite job, the second and third would be append jobs.
This would be the same for Duplicate jobs created for Slot 4.

I hope that helps you out a bit - let me know if you need something explained a bit more.

Danijel_Brncic
Level 5
hi and thanx first for the detailed message.

over the weekend i read some infos and the manual about subjects of your soulution.
it´s a little bit complicated :) and our environment is not so compliacted, that i think it´s not better to do it your way. I have summarize the jobs to one job, so i can duplicate them all to one tape.
the job contains now about 8 different server and has about 50 GB data, but i think that this shouldn´t be a problem for backup exec.

thanks again,

danijel