cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDB'S.....

Kevin_Bentley
Level 4
Hello,

I am backing up various Microsoft Exchange 5.5 Servers and though I have successfull backups and have the edb's selected during the backup process, they are not captured.

Can anyone explain how or where I am going wrong.

Note. I use Backup Exec 11d for all our Media Servers, apart from one Media Server where we run Backup Exec 10.0 Rev. 5484 for the Microsoft Exchange Servers. This version is currently an Installed Evaluation Version as we are considering our options with regards to Microsoft Exchange.

Regards,

Kevin.
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As of v9.0, Veritas included Active File Exclusion.  With this enabled (by default) BackupExec will not attempt to backup Exchange data files, SQL MDF and LDF files, Notes databases  it wil lalso  no tell you that it is skipping the files

Turn AFE off, and if the server is not running, you should be able to get flat file backups, If the server service is running, you will get "Skipped - In Use" errors for them

Kevin_Bentley
Level 4
Ken,

Thanks

Kevin_Bentley
Level 4
Ken,

Thanks for

Kevin_Bentley
Level 4
Ken,

Thanks for the reply but what do you mean "if the server is not running". I am not really able to reduce the up time of the Microsoft Exchange Servers.

Regards,

Kevin.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you have purchased and installed the Exchange Agent, then you should be covered for your Exchange backups, and not need the *.EDB files,  You can exclude them either in the select list or via AFE

If you want to backup the exchange files (as opposed to the databases) shut down Exchange and all other non-necessary services and make sure that AFE is disabled (see http://support.veritas.com/docs/259152  )

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Kevin, do you have the Agent for Microsoft Exchange installed? As your in eval mode you can just install it (use Add/Remove programs). Then when you look at your backup selection list, under your Exchange server name, you should have (I think) Microsoft Exchange Information Store and Microsoft Exchange Directory. Select those, then you don't need to worry about backing up the EDB files.
Shameless plug - Backing up Microsoft Exchange

Kevin_Bentley
Level 4
Gents,

Thanks for your replies and the excellent advice provided. I should say (as I am being persistent over the edb's) that I use Quest Recovery Manager to restore the Mailboxes, emails etc. With the Quest Recovery Manager, I only need to copy the edb's.

Regards,

Kevin.