cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest Backup Exec 2012 question in the world

Mike442
Level 2

Hi, I've got the easiest Backup Exec question in the world, my Google-fu is failing me, and I'm getting a little bit frustrated that I can't find a simple answer.

Question is: I'm considering purchase of either Backup Exec 2010 or 2012 for a new server.  I already use 2010 and am familiar with it, I understand 2012 had changed the interface around completely and I've been reading the guide at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5216  to get a better understanding of the diffferences.

One thing in that guide stands out: "Backup Exec automatically selects all of the data on the server for backup. All of the critical system components that you need to perform a full system restore are backed up."

What if I don't want that?  Nightly backups of the entire server are reduntant, time and space wasting.  I'll do a full backup of the server & OS maybe once a week, but all I really need to back up every night are my work documents.  So, can Backup Exec 2012 create backups of individual selection lists like 2010 can?  Or is it limited to the entire server?  If so, it's no better than the crappy backup software that comes built in to the OS.  >:(

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you don't want it then you just edit the automatic selection uncheck the whole server and then start checking what you do want (or just uncheck what you don't want without unchecking the whole server first)

However bear in mind that SDR (and P2V) will be disabled if you uncheck any of the requirements for SDR

You can also create more than one backup job of a server - with one job having everything selected but run less frequently and one job having only a limited selection of what you consider is critical but run more often

You don't really have selection lists separate from jobs any longer though

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you don't want it then you just edit the automatic selection uncheck the whole server and then start checking what you do want (or just uncheck what you don't want without unchecking the whole server first)

However bear in mind that SDR (and P2V) will be disabled if you uncheck any of the requirements for SDR

You can also create more than one backup job of a server - with one job having everything selected but run less frequently and one job having only a limited selection of what you consider is critical but run more often

You don't really have selection lists separate from jobs any longer though

sagarsonker
Level 3
Employee

It says "Backup Exec automatically selects all of the data on the server for backup".

It does not say that it backs up all of the data on the server automatically / forcefully.

It shows you all that you can backup, but you can always de-selected unwanted data, or rather backup only your work documents very conveniently.