Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in rstore

Tamir_Schen
Level 3
Hi,
After running live update & restart to the server,
When try to restore from backup tape, I get the following error:
Final error: 0x10cc - The media identifier does not represent a valid medium.
Final error category: Other Errors

Any idea ?

Tamir
6 REPLIES 6

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Tamir,
Although I have never seen that particular error code or message, I would try running a verify on the media and see if any errors are returned.
You can also try running catrebuildindex located in the \backup exec directory.
If neither of those work, try restoring from a different piece of media to see if it is just a problem with that specific tape.
Thanks,
Daniel

Tamir_Schen
Level 3
I did the same test with a different tape & with verify � the backup finish OK, but when try to restore I get the following error again,
Final error: 0x10cc - The media identifier does not represent a valid medium.
Final error category: Other Errors

Please help me�.

Tamir

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Tamir,
This seems to indicate some kind of issue with the drive or drivers or something in the hardware configuration. Have you tried the same test to a backup-to-disk folder?
That test should narrow down the scope of the problem.
Thanks,
Daniel

Tamir_Schen
Level 3
Hi Daniel,
I done the test to a backup-to-disk folder � and it's working excellent backup & restore (files and emails)

I reinstall the drivers for my HP tape -using the HP drivers and the Symantec drivers - I get the same error in both cases. I agree � it's sound like drivers problem � but than way the backup finish successfully?,
I don't know if this piece of info will help � but it was working fine 1 month ago when I first installs the BE trail version � 3 weeks later I typed in the serial number after purchasing the SW.
Last week I also did a complete uninstall and install of the BE.

Thanks,

Tamir

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
One thing I can think of is if the block size for the device got changed to a larger number than the drive can handle. If the block size was increased, the backup would complete successfully, but the data would not be able to fit into the restore buffers. The errors that occur when the block size is too large varies, so I don't know for sure if that's the problem.
Try lowering the block size, and try a new backup and restore.

If that doesn't work, check the properties of the drive for the number of Hard Read and Hard Write errors. If there is more than 0, then drive is suspect, and you should contact the manufacturer.

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
I know this is an old topic but I just had this issue while trying to restore a mail item using GRT.
Even though I had selected 1 item for restore I found a "funny" under the View Selection Details tab.
"Catalog Not Found" underneath my valid selection.
I removed the reference to the Catalog Not Found and re-ran the job without issue.

Cheers,
Gilly