cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors with Backup Exec 10.1

VEI
Level 2

We have been experiencing problems with our Backup Exec 10.1 in recent weeks. We switched from backing up to tapes to external hard drives a couple of years ago. We rarely had any problems with it. In recent weeks, it's rare we get a backup job to work. The job will only run about 15 minutes and then fails. We get the following messages:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036

Storage device "Backup-to Disk Device" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

I have done searches and tried a couple of solutions. We got it to working for about a week and now it's back to this. Not sure if it's a program problem, hardware problem, or a combination of the two. But we need a solution to this so we can resume backing up our work.

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you downloaded and run B2Dtest.exe against the external drives to ensure they are compatible as B2D targets?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also check the TN below. Not sure if you have seen this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130540

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You may run CHKDSK against the disk where the B2D is located. It will give the results if the disk is corrupted or so.

Thanks,

-Sush...

VEI
Level 2

I should have added we use a different drive for each day of the week. It's not a matter of one drive not holding the backup. None of them will work. We've used these for nearly 2 years and we've not had problems until recent weeks.

CHKDSK came up with no errors.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you plug in the drives, did you pause and unpause or do an inventory of the B2D folders before using them?  Take a look at my article below.  There are some suggestions as to how to rotate disks for your version of BE.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks

VEI
Level 2

I have done some of the previously mentioned actions and even deleted the previous files from the drive. The backup was almost finished before failing again. This time, I got a different error code.

Final error: 0xe00084c8 - The backup storage device failed.
Final error category" Backup device errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33992

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited