cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every time i try and run job my tapes are appearing as cleaning tapes

CC2810
Level 3
Everytime i try and run a job the message comes up

"Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command"

Whe i check the tapes they appear as cleaning media, i have tried erasing the tapes and this fixes the problem until i try and run the job then the appear as cleaning media again.

I can now run no jobs as every time i try and run a job it cannot find a tape to use, i am using a storagetek l40 library with 2 seagate drives.

9 REPLIES 9

CC2810
Level 3
I have now tried a different set of tapes with the same results, i have also installed the latest drivers from thesymantec web page.

Has anyone got any ideas???

Joseph_Gremilli
Level 4
Check the properties of the slot and make sure that it is not defined as a cleaning tape slot.

-Joe

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the SCSI-ID of the loader lower than that of the tape drive?

CC2810
Level 3
I have checked the slots and none of them are set as Cleaning slots

I will check the SCSI IDs this morning as i am not sure how they are set

NRomeo
Level 2
I had the exact same issue on our Compaq SDLT Tape Library, contacted Symantec spoke with several techies. I finally moniorted event logs consistant problems with one of the tape drives. Looks like whenever a tape was loaded to that drive, it would not read and eject it back to a slot. Then change the tape to Cleaning Media. This went on for every tape that was automacally inserted to that drive. Disabeled the that particular tape drive. Problem resolved, contacted HP for drive replacement.

CC2810
Level 3
I have tried disabling the drives individually but still no joy..The funny thing is if i enter brand new tapes it works but as soon as you try and overright a tape or use tapes that have been in the drive before they do not work

Im really stuck with this one

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
You may want to give a call over to your hardware vendor and have them run a SCSI trace on the drives to find out what's happening.  I'd be willing to bet they will find something wrong on the hardware side of things.

MJ8088
Level 3

1. On the Backup Jobs make sure the jobs are set to "overwritable if cant append"
  2. Check your media set. I think the default Media Set is no overwrite no append. You  may need to create a new media set and adjust the overwrite protection.

MJ8088
Level 3
Also make sure you have latest version / hot fixes.