cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2000 Backup

novellmaster
Not applicable
I am having trouble with the unable to attach to drive error backing up Exchange. I have checked out numerous docs about the rights and I recheck to make sure that I am using the Exchange administrator to start the services and the Exchange admin to run the backup. I am not deleting the archive like the one doc claims is an issue. I have reapplied all service packs and rollups to SO, Exchange and BE 9.0 sp1

here is the error I get.

Job ended: Friday, February 11, 2005 at 2:43:37 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a000848c HEX
Final error description: Unable to attach to one of the drives.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Verify all your mailbox and public folder stores are mounted. If one is dismounted, you will receive that type of error.

If you have multiple storage groups with multiple mailbox stores underneath each, create a backup job for each one individually so as to narrow done which one is causing the problem and go from there.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,
In order to resolve issue please refer to the technotes given below :

"Unable to attach to one of the drives" (a000848c HEX or e000848c HEX) is reported when a job fails.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266177.htm

Please checked if the account used for backup had Exchange Full Admin rights?
Also checked if the a mailbox is activated ?
Checked if it was hidden from the Exchange Address List?

If all these do not help,please perform following steps :

Mentioned error could occur if the logon account specified is not appropriate or the logon account has insufficient privileges on the resources selected for backup.

Refer to the following steps :

1. Create a new user account.

2. Make this account a member of the Domain Admin group and local Admin
group of Exchange server. Give this account Admin privileges on all the
resources selected for backup.

3. (Exchange 5.5) In Exchange Administrator select the Site or Server and
Go to Files > Properties and click on the 'Permission tab' and add the newly created user account (Step # 1) . After adding this user, grant 'Admin' role to it.

(Exchange 2000) Start System Manager -> Right click the organization
to start "Delegate control" wizard and grant newly created user account (Step # 1) "Exchange Full Administrator" rights

4. Create a mailbox for account created in step # 1 and send some mail to
the other account.

5. Make sure this account is common logon account. To accomplish
this follow the steps given below.

- Start Backup Exec

- Select Tools > Wizards > Logon account wizard

- Add new logon account, type in the credential for the new account.

- Make this account a common logon account.

- Complete the wizard.

6. Create new backup job by selecting the local (or remote machine) and select this newly created account from window.

While selecting the local resource (or remote machine), if Backup Exec does not prompt for the credentials, then after selecting the remote machine | select"resource
credentials" | select existing logon account | click change and select the
newly created logon account.

Thank you !

If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the creation of new account as mentioned in the previous reply helped.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.