cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 mailbox data backup - Backup Exec 11d

biggest
Level 3
Hi All,

I have recently installed a licensed copy of BEW and Exchange Agent but having problems backing up the mailboxes. 

First of it would not let me select individual mailboxes to back up.  It only sees the fisrt storage group and not the individual mailboxes. It seems to back up the first storage group but no mailboxes (if that makes sense).  Basicaly it says backup was successful but then when I try to restore the job, there is no mailboxes backed up.  The first storage group on the tape is empty.

Is there something I have done wrong?  I have tried all day to speak to Symantec tech support but no success(Still on the phone to them as I type - already holding for 25 minutes this time)

I am running Backup Exec 11d on a w2k3 standard with sp1
Exchange server SP2

Thanks for your assistance.

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You are in the v10.x forum, but

Did you select

Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups

when you created the Exchange Backup?

biggest
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Thanks, yes I did select the enable restore of individual mail messages option.  I am not sure where the problem lies at the moment.

any more suggestions please?

biggest
Level 3
Hi All,

Just to update you that the issue with restoring individual mailboxes have been FIXED.  I had Symantec tech support on line and they webex'd into my machine and got this sorted.  Basically the problem apeared to be permission.  The user account used to run Backup exec needs to be showing in the GAL. (Should not be hidden from the GAL).

I am using the admin account to run Backup Exec so after making this account visible in Exchange GAL it all worked like a gem.

Thanks guys for you contributions.

Juan_Benjumea
Level 1
Partner Accredited
Hi,
In tools, options, Microsoft Exchange
Marl the option "To activate Compatibility with inherited Mailboxes".

Regards.

biggest
Level 3
Hi Juan,

Thanks, this seems to have solved it.