cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 individual mailbox from .edb

sheld0r
Level 3

I'm trying to restore an Exchange 2010 mailbox using BackUp Exec 2010 R3.  When I view the media, I see just the database.edb, along with a subfolder containing CMP Files, DELTA Files, ARRAY Files, BLKS Files, VIEW Files.  I thought I was suppose to be able to see the individual mailboxes.  From the looks of it, the person who configured the backups didn't include the Information Store selection, is this correct?  Am I able to restore a single mailbox from this backup, or do I need to restore the entire database to get what I need?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd see the Information Store if:

a. You had the Exchange license installed on the media server to unlock this functionality;

b. Had selected the Information Store in your selection list.

Otherwise you're left with the flat-files which actually shouldn't be backed up. BE has Active File Exclusion which would ignore the *.edb file for instance, so are you stopping Exchange to backup the flat-files?

If you aren't using the agent, invest in it...it is worth the cash spent.

In your situation now, you'd need to look at something like Ontrack Power Control to crack open the *.edb to restore the mail. BE 2012 can do a restore-to-pst, but you need to look at the Information Store as well...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

You'd see the Information Store if:

a. You had the Exchange license installed on the media server to unlock this functionality;

b. Had selected the Information Store in your selection list.

Otherwise you're left with the flat-files which actually shouldn't be backed up. BE has Active File Exclusion which would ignore the *.edb file for instance, so are you stopping Exchange to backup the flat-files?

If you aren't using the agent, invest in it...it is worth the cash spent.

In your situation now, you'd need to look at something like Ontrack Power Control to crack open the *.edb to restore the mail. BE 2012 can do a restore-to-pst, but you need to look at the Information Store as well...

Thanks!

sheld0r
Level 3

Heya CraigV,

It appears the technician that did the backups didn't select the Information Store for his backups.  I've added the Information Store option, even though it showed 0 space used and I can see the individual mailboxes under the restore option.  

I do have the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows installed on the Exchange server. 

So without using something like Ontrack Power Control, I'm pretty much out of luck in restoring the mailboxes?  Ouch!  I never thought to go back and check the tech's work, and make sure he was doing the backups correctly.

BE 2012 has different options?  Better ones to revive from something like this, or are you saying regardless I still need the Information Store?  Just want to make sure. 

sheld0r
Level 3

I just gave Kroll Ontrack a call, and their product is EXACTLY what I would need!  Thank you very much CraigV, you just saved us!!!  

Thanks again! Cheers mate!!

CraigV

BE 2012 has that extra feature over BE 2010 R3. During your restore setup, you can choose the option to restore to a *.pst...nice feature to have...whether it justifies you upgrading to that is another story, and rather wait till BE 2012 R2 is out for a while before considering that!

Thanks!