cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Full Backup failure; help a new guy out

TylerVanHorne
Level 3
Howdy;
Running Backup Exec 11d.  Without any changes or reboots, my exchange weekly full backups are failing.   Pasted below are first the error log that backup exec provided, second is the event log. Installed all hotfixes, replaced media in the library.  Using a Sony LIB-81. My daily backups on the file servers are running fine using the same device.  What should I check next?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: None
Event ID: 34113
Date:  4/17/2007
Time:  2:21:25 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: CPI1
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "CPI1") (Job: "Full Exchange DR Only") Full Exchange DR Only -- The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml
8 REPLIES 8

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Tyler,

It sounds like you may have some VSS problems.
I would recommend running vssadmin list writers to see if you have any that are not stable.
If you do a reboot may fix them.

Patty

TylerVanHorne
Level 3
This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask.  How do you run a vssadmin list writers?  And when you say to do a reboot, do you mean a reboot of the backup server that runs Backup Exec, or a reboot of my Exchange server?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Its not a stupid question at all.

You will run the command in a command prompt, go to run and type in cmd and hit enter.
When the box opens you will type in vssadmin list writers
It will then list all of the VSS writers on the system.
If any of them show anything but stable a reboot of the Exchange server will be required.
Also, run the list writers on the Exchange server.

Patty

TylerVanHorne
Level 3
All stable on the backup server.  On my Exchange server, the "Microsoft Exchange Writer" is the only one showing FAILED!

So......as I would prefer not to bring down the whole company....I'll just go ahead and ask.....what shall I do next?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Tyler,

You would either need to reboot the server, in hopes that it would clear it up or contact Microsoft.

I know that is not the answer you were looking for but there is nothing that I am aware of that will clear that out with out a reboot.

Patty

TylerVanHorne
Level 3
Thanks a lot Patty, I don't mind doing a reboot after hours because its not a 24/7 company, just wanted to make sure and not make any changes that might crash Exchange.  I'll reboot tonight, let you know in the morning.  I appreciate your help, because of you my boss thinks I know what I'm doing!

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Glad I could help with that Smiley Happy

Keep me updated.

TylerVanHorne
Level 3
Well, it worked.  Did a reboot, this morning all services were up that were stalled, and I ran a backup this morning of Exchange and it completed.  Thank you so much Patty!