cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backups need LOCAL disk?

John_Rounds
Level 4
A little confused.

We backup to a NAS device using B2D. At one of our sites, in the Exchange section of the backup job, we've enabled "Enable the restore of individual..."
But further down, the mailbox backups section is also available (and can't be disabled)... we don't want this (I'm assuming it's the "old way" of doing mailbox backups.
Anyway, we get an error that this (don't know which) 'feature' needs local B2D folders. But I'm not sure which feature.. the ability to restore individual messages and folders, or the feature to restore Mailboxes!? Error doesn't say (nor the log).
At our other site, the latter option isn't even available (not even shown on the Exchange Options dialog box. It may be because we used to be setup to do Mailbox backups in previous versions at the first site.

Anyway, do I need LOCAL B2D folders to enable the "Enable the restore of individual messages and folders"? (as a side note, if that's the case than WHY!!!!!!?? >:( There's ALWAYS a 'gotcha'.
2 REPLIES 2

John_Rounds
Level 4
Found this in the help file:

"Check Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups to enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from full or copy backups of the Information Store.
Symantec recommends that if this option is selected, you should select a backup-to-disk folder on a local NTFS volume as the destination device."

But sounds like only a suggestion to me??

Ken_Mahren
Level 4
Not sure so check on this about individual mailboxes, but I believe you need to set up devices on either the Console server or another server that has CPS installed as an intermediary device (at least for CPS on exchange databases) and then do a duplicate job to your NAS.

again, not sure about individual mailboxes... I have it set up this way and can see the individual mailboxes if I need to restore one.

Yours,
Ken