cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange is halted

Amir_Abadi
Level 3
Recently we have deployed Veritas Backup exec version 10 Rev 5520 to a brand new server windows 2003 OS and Dell PowerVault T122. Now our exchange server halts every time the backup is started on the server. The screen on exchange server goes black and the network connection is lost.
The following patches where applied to the backup server before rolling out the agent, HF4, HF6, HF7, HF8, and HF15.

I never had any issues with our exchange server when it was being backed up by the windows.

Please help...
5 REPLIES 5

Amir_Abadi
Level 3
our exchange server is the following version:
Exchagne 2000 SP3 running on windows 2000 server SP4

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Amir,

Since when you are facing this problem ?
Is Backup Exec is installed on the same Exchange Server ?
How many applications are running during the backups of Exchange ?
Is Antivirus service running during backup ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Amir_Abadi
Level 3
Ajit,

-since teh roll out of veritas 10, date: 08/23/05
-Backup exec is not installed on the same server as exchange.
-on exchange server the only applications that are runing is the Symantec Mail Security for MS exchange version 4.6
-no local antivirus application is running on this server

however, yesturday I for trouble shooting purposes i deleted the backup job for our exchange from our backup exec server. kept the backup exec agent still intalled on the exchange server.
scheduled a backup to file on the exchange server locally using windows backup, and had the same issue. the system halts and the following message is displayed "The System has Halted" hardware Malfunction call your vendor for support.

we had recently added more memory to the exchange server and now i belive this may be the cause. the server however functions normal as long as no backup jobs are scheduled on it, which i find odd.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Check for any event ids in the system and application log with reference to this error message.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Amir_Abadi
Level 3
the issue has been solved. the added memroy is found to be defective, since the memory has been removed no issues arised with backup.