cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange logfiles do not disappear after Backup

Nicolas_Nickisc
Level 4

I do Backups of the mailbox dtabase store (EX2007) with the BE Agent.

The backups run okay, nevertheless the logfiles do not disappear.

I am sure that I have activated the option to empty the logfiles on backup.

It doesn't matter whether I choose Full or incremental backup.

What can I do  else ?

P.S: I have already tried eseutil /mh on the database, but it results in "clean shutdown" and "no logs needed"

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

Hello, 

Make sure AOFO is not enabled in your job and have your job backup Exchange seperately.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello Nichloas,

could you please check event viewer and see if there are any events stating that logs are marked for truncation, as backup exec doesnot truncate the logs it only marks it for truncation once they are backed up.

Please run a non GRT backup and check if that is getting the log files truncated if not than

you can even run a windows backup to backup information store  (NTbackup for windows 2003 and windows backup for windows 2008) this should get you logs truncated.

even after windows backup logs are not getting flushed than you would need to contact microsoft to get it fixed however before doing that if your drives are getting filled up with logs and needs free space than you can enable circular logging on exchange database reboot the exchange server and let logs get truncated, once all logs are truncated than you can disable circular logging and retry with a backup job from backup exec or windows to see if issue is resolved or not

hopefully this will resolve your issue.