cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange mailbox backup- corrupt file error

Robert_Koss
Level 4
We use Veritas 9.1 on Wundows 2003 with Exch 2003. I am using Symantec Corporation 10.0.0.359. My exchange backup job always finish with one or two of following error-

WARNING : \\MAIL\Microsoft exchange mailboxes\tushar . Top of Information Store.Inbox. ~~~~~ ALL CHINESE AND JAPANISE CHARACTERS ~~~~~ Delivery Status Notification ( Delay ) " is a corrupt file.

Can you tell me what services I need to stop and if I need to stop the auto-protect and how to do that and restart it.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Phillip_Evans
Level 2
I'm having a similar problem with one of my mailboxes The inital error reads

\\NCS1\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\~~~Mailbox Name~~~?Top of Information Store?Inbox~~~lots of kanji characters~~~ Outlook Message Manager (Outlook) (KEY: BA4FC0B3F72B1146BD40CD1E3CB737E9)" is a corrupt file.

If this is caused by a corrupt attachment, how do I determine which email message needs to be deleted? By sorting the backup by size I've determined that the message is around 400 bytes long but a review of all messages in the user's inbox of similar size turned up nothing. I was able to find the messages shown by the backup to be just smaller and just larger than the corrupt message, but no messages were shown in the inbox with a subject of "Outlook Message Manager" or of the appropriate size.Message was edited by:
Phillip Evans

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,
Does this error occur while backup of a particular mailbox or a particular mail?

For the error you can refer the following document:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/193940.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thank You

Robert_Koss
Level 4
Yes, it gives me the same warning message on the same mailbox and on the same piece of e-mail. The e-mail has a text file attached to it. I can open the e-mail just fine and I can open the text file just fine. I already do have that statement in my registry as I put it there some time ago (I double check just to make sure). The backup is not failing it just give me this warning message about a corrupt piece of mail however I fail to see why it is corrupt. If it is corrupt I want to know what made it corrupt. FYI: If it was the Symantec AntiVirus that made it corrupt then I want to make sure it doesn't corrupt any more files. The reason is short when I do my quarterly maintenance (isinteg and eseutil) on my exchange database I really don't want to have a problem because these two procedures take 4 hours to complete with no problems.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Try disabling the antivirus services during the backup job.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Koss
Level 4
If I shut down my AntiVirus during this time my server will be without protection on file shares for over 13 hours. That a long time for no virus protection! Isn't there some type of exclusion for mail besides the .ldb and .mdb?

Robert_Koss
Level 4
I have resolved the problem. In Symantec AntiVirus in the File System Auto-protect go to advanced and change the setting under Scan Files When to Modified (Scan on Create). This really is n't the answer I was looking for because I am still open during modification however I don't have currupt file errors now.