cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exec Backup is dead?

Somers_Eye_Cent
Level 3
I have no idea what happens, but I can't do anything, like retension a tape, inventory, quick format any scheduled job etc. When I insert a tape it can appear in "on-line" section . When I try do rentension tape manually it goes to nothing, I can't cancel this neither. When I try to backup anything it only says "Loading media". Any suggestions?Message was edited by:
Somers Eye Center
9 REPLIES 9

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Usually, in most of the cases, the "" error is observed due to configuration settings of Overwrite protection and append periods or if there is no free space on the media. Sometimes, this error happens if data to be backed up exceeds the capacity of the tape.
Please have a look at the technote below:
An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Somers_Eye_Cent
Level 3
I go thru articles. I put NONE on overvrite protection and append tapes, move them to scratch media, but still I can't do anything. One thing what I can do is only Eject Tape - other options can't work.Message was edited by:
Somers Eye Center

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Can you perform an erase?
If yes then perform a small backup and then verify whether it still shows loading media.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Somers_Eye_Cent
Level 3
One thing what I can do successful is EJECT media. Other like Retension, Erase etc. I can't do.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Which tape drive are you using ? Is it a robotic library or a standalone drive ?

Since when you are having this problem ?

Are there any device related errors in Event viewer ? If yes, which are they ?

Are you using Veritas drivers for the tape drive ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Somers_Eye_Cent
Level 3
Streamer is standalone Seagate ST20000A with Veritas tape drivers and I use Travan 20GB tapes.

There is a strange issue - when I put new tape it starts to work corectly, but when I want to use weekly backup tapes it can't.

Another thing is about not enough free disk space error. I removed old backup polices and create new. Go thru Run Test and got error about not enough disk space. I just want to create backup of one 150MBs folder and I have 35GB free disk space.

Somers_Eye_Cent
Level 3
When I try to do normal backup (or test run) I alway got that message:

Completes status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084d9 - There was an error processing th on tape catalogs.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

Not enough free dis space for temporary catalog files.
V-79-57344-34009 - There was an error processing the on tape catalogs

Somers_Eye_Cent
Level 3
Any suggestions?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

You can refer to the following technote which talks regarding the error :

- "There was an error processing the on tape catalogs" (0xa00084d9 HEX or 0xe00084d9 HEX) is reported when a backup job fails.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/269633

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.