cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to access exchange mailbox

Jocelyn_Anning
Level 2
I have Backup Exec version 10d installed on a MS Small Business Server 2003. I have tried everything I found regarding backing up the Exchange mailboxes but all i get is failed to access. I have tried adding a new user with admin rights and full admin rights in exchange but still no luck....any guidance would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Assuming for simplicity that you BEWS services are running as the administrator...

Have you ensured that Outlook is configured on the server to open the administrators mailbox, eg you can actually read the mailbox on the server using Outlook (after ignoring the warning about using Outlook on a server).

If Outlook isn't setup to work properly the mailbox backups won't work.

Jocelyn_Anning
Level 2
Thank you very much for your quick response. That is definitely my issue. I have not installed Outlook on the small business server running exchange. As you mention, throughout the microsoft documentation it says NOT to install Outlook on the same server. Is there any way to get around this??

If i go ahead and install it, the BE will work (I hope :)) but then Microsoft wont support my Exchange install.

I dont know what to do??

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Why wouldn't they support your Exchange installation? Outlook is included as one of the packages which comes with SBS, so there's hardly an argument from them about it not being allowed!

I think the real issue with Outlook on servers is more about using it interactively as a user on the server, since it has various inherant vulnerabilities in relation to running scripts etc automatically when an e-mail is open, therefore it recommended that if you need to open an e-mail account on the server you make sure of the Outlook Web Access functionality instead.

If I were you I'd go ahead and get Outlook installed on the server so you can get the backups of the individual mailbox items configured, and just make sure that if you do ever need to open a mail account yourself on the server, that you do it using Outlook Web Access just to be on the safe side.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta