cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure occured accessing the Writer Metadata

Not applicable
This is a new Server running Windows 2003 SBS. The backup was running well & then started failing.
I get this failure message on my daily backup:
OFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
OFO: Snapshot error (0xfffffec9): A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
I've changed the Volume Shadow Copy service to manual & it failed, disabled the service but that has not corrected the problem. The bite count looks good. I've uninstalled & reinstalled BU Exec & still is failing. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

This error can occur if, during a Shadow Copy Components data protection operation, if a VSS Application Writer involved in the operation reports a failed status, then the data protection operation will fail.

You can follow the troubleshooting stpes given below:-

1.Check the Writer status by following the TECHNOTE:

Title:-

How to troubleshoot the error "A failure occurred querying the Writer status" (a000fed1 HEX or e000fed1 HEX) using VSSADMIN

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261993

2.If the VSS Application Writer failure does not reset after a period of time, Backup Exec for Windows Servers continues to fail, or the native backup utility fails, then attempt to reboot the system and contact the specific company that produced the VSS Application Writer for further assistance.

For more information regarding what may cause the Shadow Copy Components to fail, please refer to the Microsoft Q article 826936.

If you run a check on the writers and find that tehy are not working then you can apply a Microsoft patch by referring the article mentioned above:Microsoft Q article 826936

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hi,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply