cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filegroup backups can only be performed on databases configured to support Log backups

JAGPS
Level 2

Hello,

I keep receiving the following error "Final error: 0xe0009417 - Filegroup backups can only be performed on databases configured to support Log backups." This has occured because I tried to backup the transaction logs (as it kept complaining that the log was growing), when a few of the database had a recovery mode of simple. I have cancelled the transaction log backups but the full database backup keeps throwing that same error.

I have already tried everything in the following article: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH45850. 

Please help, no backups are being created!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since your databases have a mixture of simple and full recovery modes, you should not select the filegroup.  You should select the individual databases for your full backup.

To backup and truncate your transaction logs, create another backup job and select only the databases with full recovery mode.  Do not select those with simple recovery mode for this job.

Before your switch recovery modes, do check with the database or application owner first.  Some applications require that the databases be in full recovery mode and some requires simple recovery mode.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since your databases have a mixture of simple and full recovery modes, you should not select the filegroup.  You should select the individual databases for your full backup.

To backup and truncate your transaction logs, create another backup job and select only the databases with full recovery mode.  Do not select those with simple recovery mode for this job.

Before your switch recovery modes, do check with the database or application owner first.  Some applications require that the databases be in full recovery mode and some requires simple recovery mode.

JAGPS
Level 2

Thank you very much PKH,

The issue was resolved by getting the transaction log backup to run successfully on the databases with full recovery modes, then the normal backup job ran fine again.

Cheers.