cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
Hello,

Prior to purchasing the license everything was fine.

The server Leo is a Windows 2000 Server. I am simply backing up a shared folder on that server. No system state, system folder, SQL, etc. The backupexec agent has been verified and installed.

I am not backing up from any other servers at all. simply workstations and shared folders only. I was under the impression that purchasing the single license would allow at least one server to be allowed?

Here is the error:

Backup- LEO
License Violation
A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Access to the device \\LEO\vss is not authorized with this edition of the product.

Final error: 0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.
Final error category: Other Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37912
8 REPLIES 8

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
I suppose the question is... do I need Remote Agent server licenses if I am just backing up shared folders on the Server OS's?

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Hi Howard -

I am assuming you have purchased just the Backup Exec for Windows Servers license? If this is correct then you would need to purchase the Remote Agent license as well to backup the remote server. If this is not the case and you have the Remote Agent license - be sure you have installed it and have re-pushed the agent out to the remote server. Here is a document to explain further:

Here is a document covering other potential issues with the error you are receiving.

I hope this helps!

- Jared

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
Jared,

Thank you for the reply, the item I purchased was

Part code: 11054110
Desc: Symc backup exec 11d win with continuos protection server bndl std lic express band s essential 12 mo.

Does that include the remote agent license?

I thought it was free for desktops and I get one remote agent for a server free with my purchase?

In anycase, I have installed remote agents on all the desktops that I am backing up shared folders from.

If I am just backing up data located in shared folders on a server, do I need an additional remote agent license? I am not backing up any system state or system folder.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

T_K
Level 4
I'll take a stab at it. I've worked with other backup apps that use something similar to a remote agent called "iDataAgent", which basically is supposed to be installed on all clients that you want to back up including the box you got the main app on. All it is is a container that holds what is suppose to be backed up and then compresses (if enabled) it to be sent over to the backup server.

If this is the case, then by this system a "remote agent" would be necessary. My setup is I have a server that does the backups but nothing on it is backed up.

gl

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
tk, thanks for the reply..

So it looks like I just might need to get a license for the remote agent for each server even I am simply backing up data from shared folders?

Is this correct Jared? can you tell from my part number? The dell sales guy said this was all i needed when I described my environment to him.

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Howard -

This is correct. To backup remote servers then you would need to purchase the Remote Agent license in order to backup your shared folders. A remote agent does not come free with the Backup Exec for Windows Server license. They are issued seperately.

Unfortunately I am unable to check your information with the part number you gave me as I do not have access. You would need to call customer care to get that information. They can be reached at 800-721-3934 or
541-335-7023.

- Jared

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
hrmm.. interesting! thanks for the input guys!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I think I've seen Ken Putnam post that on older versions of Backup Exec (V8 and possibly V9) you didn't need a remote agent license if you were just backing up shared folders, however the licensing changed so now you do need the agent license, even if the agent isn't installed on the remote server.
You do actually get a remote agent with the core Backup Exec product, but it's used for the media server itself.