cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall ports for B2D Device

RiversideKid
Level 3
We are moving our servers into our campus DMZ. For a period of time we will need to have a media server inside the DMZ backup other DMZ servers onto disk space that is outside the DMZ.

What I need to know is: Does the media server (9.1) use the Remote Agent on the Backup Device to form the connection? In other words I'm going to use ports 10000, 10025, 10026 10027 etc. OR does the media server even require remote agent to be present on the backup to disk device at all, In other words the media server merely needs file/print ports open, 135, 138, 139 & 445?

The media server will have unrestricted ports open TO the backup to disk (B2D) server but the B2D server will be limited to what ports it can use to talk to the media server, so I'm trying to find out what ports we need to open FROM the B2D server TO the BE Media Server.

My Network Security people are unwilling to open many ports for the backup to take place, so I'm trying to find out what the real minimum is that I'd need to open.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the admin handbook page number 340 onwards which very well describes confguring Backup Exec with firewalls.

(title) VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266190

Thanks,
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

RiversideKid
Level 3
I had read this section of the user manual before my original post. The user manual states "The Remote Agent for Windows Servers is required to perform remote backups and restores." But does not indicate whether the remote agent is required only on the server being backed up, or on both the target server as well as the server holding the device. In other words for every backup I have three servers involved, the BE media server, the RANT server being backed up and the Device Server, which holds our drive array. To meet the requirements of our network security team I must keep the media server and the RANT server on the same side of the firewall. The pages you specified define in very simple terms the ports required between the BE media server and the RANT server.

My question pertains to the ports between the media server and the device server. I believe this to be merely file services using ports 137, 138, 139, 445. Or would I still need an array of ports 10000-10075 on the device server as well?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You have mentioned here that you have three server that are Backup Exec server, Remote server and the device server, please elaborate the which "device server" you are using?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.