cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setup of USB hard drives.

Performance_Con
Not applicable

I have used Backup Exec 12.5 for a while now but can never get the B2D setup properly

So I need some instructions for setting up the backup to external USB hard drives.

I've got about 200GB of data to backup to a 1TB external drive.

I don't really care how far back it goes just as long as the last few days are kept.

The drive keeps filling up so I am not setting the the over write properties properly.

I'd like to do a full backup and then in incremental to save space.

I have exchange, sharepoint, SQL and files to backup.

Can someone reference me a how to or explain the steps?

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

Create a selection list and select the resources which you want to backup

Create a policy with 2 templates for Full and Incremental backup.

Create a media set with 5 days of Overwrite protection and Infinite allow append.

Create a Removable B2D and target it to the USB HDD.

Schedule the full backup on Monday or Friday and remaining days incrementals.

Ayush
Level 4

Hi,

What would be approximate amount of data backed up by your incremental backup job.

Once you will provide that information we can calculate and configure overwrite protection period for your backup jobs.

Are you backing up 200GB data in one backup job or in multiple backup jobs.

What is the number of IMG folders created by the exchange and share point backup jobs 

every day.

:)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that your media management option is set correctly so that BE is overwriting media instead of creating new ones.  See my blog below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-re-cycling-media

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just for info Backup Exec 's removable B2D option was designed for cartridge or writable CD- based devices where the USB disk will always be presented on the same drive letter and where eject commands are issued by BE to the device at the end of the jobs before you change the cartridges.

A USB disk is therefore not the intended location for a removable B2D.

There are various options the forums posters have used with limited sucess to manage USB disks as B2D locatiions (and possibly some of them will provide some detail that can help you).

However Backupe Exec 2010 R2 is the first version of Backup Exec to have in built capability to handle Standard B2D folders stored on USB disks and to detect what drive letters they are on when they are unplugged and then plugged back in - version 12.5 that you are running does not have this capability built in. There is still a gotcha in 2010 R2 where you should never unplu the USB drive when a backup job is runngin (and obviously you should always try to Safely Remove the drive using the Operating System Options and not just unplug it anyway)