cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with warning "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued."

NoiseHole
Level 3

Hi,

We have BE2010 running in a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM, and the HP tape library is attached to the physical ESX host, and mapped in VIClient to the 2008 R2 VM.

We've been running backups for months with no problems.  However, recently, near the system log says this a few times, always about 5:30am when the backup job is completing:

--
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.
--

I've been researching as this appears to be disk/array related, however, none of my other VMs on this host are throwing this error. 

As a test, I paused my backup schedule and ran the backup job in the middle of the day instead, and again this \Device\RaidPort0 reset happened, so the error indeed appears linked to the backup job itself.

Anybody had any experience with this and/or know if this is cause for alarm?  Like I said, the backup jobs are completing, but the client and I are nervous that this shouldn't be ignored.

Thanks,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it CAN be a SCSI card issue, but you'd only notice it IF other VMs were making use of the SCSI card.

I'd go with downloading the HP Library & Tape Tools and running the diagnostics against the library to detect any errors. If there are you need to take steps to rectify that.

Some proactive steps would be to update the firmward on the SCSI card and on the tape library too, and then checking the EVent Viewer for any errors...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

...it CAN be a SCSI card issue, but you'd only notice it IF other VMs were making use of the SCSI card.

I'd go with downloading the HP Library & Tape Tools and running the diagnostics against the library to detect any errors. If there are you need to take steps to rectify that.

Some proactive steps would be to update the firmward on the SCSI card and on the tape library too, and then checking the EVent Viewer for any errors...

NoiseHole
Level 3

CraigV,

Thanks a lot, I've grabbed those tools and will try a firmware update to start.  Sounds like you might have experience running these tools in an environment like mine?  I'm running the firmware update but it's said it's going to take 886 minutes for the last 10.  I don't dare interrupt it.  But I'll keep waiting :-).  I guess I'm just a bit apprehensive since this is a VM-to-physical host-to-tape-drive connection.

Brian

CraigV

...Yep, had this issue on 2 HP servers. The SCSI card that was working for 2 years just decided it was time to throw out errors. Replacing the cards fixed the issue. That was after doing the upgrade of the firmware and drivers =/

Good luck, post back with an update when you have 1.