cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Network Utilization

PinarOzbas
Not applicable

Trying to backup 400GB files from a NAS device to  HP LTO4

NAS device is connected with 1 Gbit  to backbone switch and backup server is also connected to backbone switch (Cisco 4506) with 1gbit.

When I run the backup job, write speed reach 2 Gbyte/min on the tape but network utilization increase 1,500,000 kbits/sec and users coud not reach the other sources connected to backbone switch. I need to cancel the job to return back to normal. 

How can I perform the backup without having high network utilization ?

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

NDMP backup will be the best option to backup data from NAS device without affecting the data network. Backup device will be directly connected to the NAS device, so that the user/data network will not get affected while taking the backup.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hmm although backups will use bandwidth it should not be to the point where other request to use network resources have problems so there would appear to be somethign odd about your network.

Unfortunately Backup Exec does not have an option to limit bandwidth use - so you might have to consider installing extra network cards in the backup server and in the servers being backed up so that you can move the backup traffic onto it's own LAN. (with it's own switch)

If you do this make sure that the backup server name resolves all servers to be backed up via the IP adresses on the second network and also makes sure that each of the servers being backed up name resolves the backup server by its IP address on the second network - I'd use host files for this so that you can leave DNS correctly configured for all other requests. Also because of this recommendation I'd strongly suggest that the Backup Exec server is not a Domain Controller - as if it is you might affect AD replication.

teiva-boy
Level 6

You have networking issues with an incorrectly configured switch.  Set Backup Exec to run at 10Mb or 100Mb, or fix your networking issues.