cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I automate SQL restore job to standby server

Dennis_Forsman
Level 2
Each day I do a total backup of a SQL server with 300 databases to a dedicated (to disk) backup server. Once the job completes I would like to run a restore job but restore to a cold standby server. I can do a restore manually or setup a job to function each day but how do I get the job to pick the most recent backup?
7 REPLIES 7

Milouse
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Dennis,

Not sure it's possible, but I'd definitely try this:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/260977

Hope this helps in some way :)

Sam

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the above solution has helped resolve your issue.
If the issue persists, do revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Can't do it in v9

In v9 and prior, the volume to be restored from must exist in the catalog when the restore job is created. v10 has a tmaplat that will let you do it, tho.

I suppose that if you wanted to spend the time, you could script up someting to determine the latest volume and then submit a job using that volume using BEMCMD, but it would probably be quite a bit of work.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
The reason this is, as Ken pointed out, probably very difficult, is that this isn't really the job of a "backup" product.

Try looking into "log shipping" on your SQL server, it is probably closer to what you require.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Thought that I had mentioned this in my previous response, but see that didn't

Is there any specific reason that you want to restore the disk backup to the standby server rather than just replicating from the production server to the standby?

You could set this up using the scheduler in SQL on either of the two, but I'd do it from the standby server.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.