cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I move Backup Exec catalog files?

Rick_Rastardly
Level 2
I'm running Backup Exec 10.0 on Windows Server 2003. The Catalogs folder, containing a .FDD file, a .SM file, a few .tmp files, and lots of .IMG and .FH files, has grown to nealry 3 GB and I need to move it to another drive.

I've changed the options, so that the catalog path now points to the new location, and restarted BE services. However, the old files are still in the old location, and I can't find any info on how to move them. Can I simply move them in Windows Explorer and restart BE services, or do I need to use some other method? Any advice much appreciated.

Supplementary question: can anyone advise what each of the above-mentioned file-types is for, and whether I need to keep them indefinitely?? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

David_Freshly
Level 3
I did this just last week. I changed the option to point to a new location and then I copied the catalog files to the new folder but was still unable to see anything in the restore window. I stopped and started the BE services but still no luck. I then rebooted the server and it then merged the catalogs so I could then use them in the restore window.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
"...can anyone advise what each of the above-mentioned file-types is for, and whether I need to keep them indefinitely..."

Are you 'managing' your catalog files with the settings found at "Tools | Options | Settings | Catalog" ?

The 'truncate' setting will let you see the header information of a backup tape - so, for example, six months from now you know when the March monthly backup ran. But it reduces the file size, and if you want to restore, you re-catalog the tape first.

If you go to the 'restore' tab and check the properties of an object in the left pane, you'll notice that the 'Family ID' matches the {...} filenames in your catalog folder.

Do you "need" them? - that depends on how often you have to restore, how much time you have to restore, and whether or not you want to first catalog a whole tape before you do the restore.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
There is a technote on how to do the move at http://support.veritas.com/docs/264680

See also http://www.backupexecfaq.com/faq/problems/catalog-folder-is-growing-too-large.html